We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cycling the coastal road from Hoi An to Nha Trang

Liverpool, England...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
cycling the coastal road from Hoi An to Nha Trang

I am traveling alone, but am a keen cyclist and really want to see this part of the coast line slowly.

Has anyone done such a bike ride without a tour (which seems very expensive)?

Any advice on road conditions, altitude and where to stay would be great.

Thanks

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cycling the coastal road from Hoi An to Nha Trang

Have you cycled on highway one in 35deg+ heat before?

Liverpool, England...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cycling the coastal road from Hoi An to Nha Trang

no. why? did you have issues with the heat?

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: cycling the coastal road from Hoi An to Nha Trang

I do see some lonely tourist do the cycling here of this part. I'm not a big fan of it, but for sightseeing, sounds good.

Be carefull for the traffic.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cycling the coastal road from Hoi An to Nha Trang

I would so do it, but worry about punctures. Here in Denmark I have about 1 puncture for each 100 km. I would hate having to carry all those spare tunes, pump, folding tire, etc. Then again, in Denmark the roads are constructed using flint.

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cycling the coastal road from Hoi An to Nha Trang

"no. why? did you have issues with the heat?"

No, I dont, Australia is pretty hot anyway but I would have thought pom's would have an issue with it, I know many here that whinge continually about it.

I would be worried about getting cleaned up by a truck or a bus, I didnt feel to good about riding a 5klm stretch on Highway one let alone hundreds of klms

Edited: 7:19 am, January 15, 2012
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
15,052 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cycling the coastal road from Hoi An to Nha Trang

Highway #1 is hardly a pastoral coastal road! Do your research about the lack of shoulder and the death rate of cyclists in the area.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cycling the coastal road from Hoi An to Nha Trang

Holly W, just in case you're completely baffled, the problem pointed out in the replies so far seems to be to do with the perceived lack of coastal roads.

There might or might not be a network of minor roads that hug the coast from Hoi An to Nha Trang (and frankly I wouldn't have a clue because good road maps of Vietnam are very hard to come by), but if there is no choice but to travel by Highway 1 then the journey would be far from pleasurable in terms of lack of interesting scenery, exhaust fumes and risk to life and limb.

As for the heat that dacaro mentions in his usual acerbic style (ironically as somebody who feels free to talk about whinging Poms but has a heck of a history on this forum of none too small whinges), cycling during the hottest months in Vietnam would definitely not be pleasurable unless you leave the flat coastal plains and cycle through the uplands to the east, which really are delightful.

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cycling the coastal road from Hoi An to Nha Trang

"As for the heat that dacaro mentions in his usual acerbic style"

Sounds like you're whinging creaky, not a pom are you? :-(

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cycling the coastal road from Hoi An to Nha Trang

Actually I grew up in Australia. Make of that what you will. :-)

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cycling the coastal road from Hoi An to Nha Trang

Highway 1 is dangerous, often chocked by black smoke from the deisel fumes of overloaded, speeding non maintained wrecks. and deafingly loud from the horn blasts of busses roaring by with back ends wildly swaying. If you like to bicycle, I would stronly suggest you do so via the backroads along highway 14 in the central highlands..... much more scenic also.

Owee

www.owee58.com