We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip or overnight on the Mekong Delta?

Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip or overnight on the Mekong Delta?

Hi,

I've been going round in circles on this so I'm hoping people can offer their advice based off their personal experiences.

Would you recommend:

Doing a day trip to the Mekong and seeing a floating market? (and if so, which are the best companies to go with - I do not mind paying a premium if it's worth it)

OR

Doing an overnight (1 night is really all I want as I'd rather save that other night to add to my potential trip to Sapa) and going to floating market and potentially a bit more? (and if so, which are the best companies to go with? I'm currently considering mango cruises (looks good but quite expensive, their 2 days 1 night itineraries doesn't include floating market but one has a wet market instead) and Le Cochinchine Cruises (a little cheaper, 2 days 1 night itinerary includes floating markets but doesn't have as glowing reviews)).

Any advice/insight/personal experiences are much appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Freetown, Sierra...
Level Contributor
57 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip or overnight on the Mekong Delta?

As I understand, floating market is at it's best early in the morning, so if that's what you most want to see, you should plan to spend a night in Can Tho.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
15,074 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip or overnight on the Mekong Delta?

Inga is correct - overnight is best

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,674 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip or overnight on the Mekong Delta?

With a day trip you spend a whole day in a bus, you will arrive at floating when is closing, avoid it and take an overnight in Can Tho or Vinh Long.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip or overnight on the Mekong Delta?

definitely best overnight- however we were on Le Cochinchine a few year's ago and we got to the floating market quite late. perhaps check their current itinerary if the floating market is your main reason.

Regarding Wet Markets- you can see wet markets in every city and town in Vietnam- if you enjoy strong smells and live and dead animals in extreme heat..

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip or overnight on the Mekong Delta?

We have done the 1night 2 day Mekong Eyes cruise which was excellent. Last May we used Jason Superstar for a private tour and it was an awesome way to explore the Mekong. It includes an overnight stay in a waterfront Hotel in Can tho then a really early start to see the best of Cai rang.

Mark

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
908 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip or overnight on the Mekong Delta?

An alternative is the Saigon River Express speedboat day tour with stops at various sights between Saigon and Ben Tre. Around $100 last time I looked but if you're pressed for time and want to do a tour this would be my pick instead of travelling all the way to Can Tho and back is such short time.

HCMC
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip or overnight on the Mekong Delta?

Good morning

It depends on your interest, your time, your budget to explore Mekong one day or 2 days

For one day Mekong, it takes you 2 hours to reach Cai Be town, 100 kms from Saigon and it takes you 2 hours to drive back to your hotel. You can start the tour any time from 06:00 am to 07:30 am. The earlier you go, the more you will see

You will visit the floating market, taste Mekong different kinds of fruits at Ms Hai floating fruit boat, visit Cai Be wet mainland market, ancient pagoda, take sampan ride along small canal and go to local house to taste Mekong typical home cooked food for lunch

You can add bike ride along Tan Phong tropical fruit garden for 45 minutes or 1 hour or you can combine visiting Cu Chi tunnels on the way back to Saigon. It takes you 2.5 hours to reach the Ben Dinh tunnels from Cai Be boat station. So you will leave Cai Be after lunch around 01:00 pm or 01:15 pm. You will pay entrance tickets, explore tunnels complex, shoot real guns AK47 , M16, M30, M60 , taste topioca and tunnels tea and it takes you 1.5 hours to return your hotel in Saigon

for Mekong 2 days : the first day you will explore Cai Be with all these activities above and after lunch, you will drive 1.5 hours to reach Can Tho to stay overnight at the Thanh Thuy riverfront hotel 25 USD with no breakfast with balcony or at the Kim Tho 3 star hotel 50 USD with buffet breakfast. You will go for dinner at the best local restaurant in town : Nam Do restaurant opposite to Le Huu Phuoc park, visit Kim Tho rooftop Cafe for the best view of Can Tho city at night or take Tay Do night cruise along Can Tho river for drinks . The next day you will wake up early around 05:00 am, take the 05:30 am boat trip to observe the sunrise on the way to the Cai Rang biggest floating market in the world, taste fresh pineapple and look for Mrs Di Hai noodle soup for breakfast ( Gordon Ramsay & Luke Nguyen had breakfast and highly recommended her Hu Tieu Bun Rieu ) www.youtube.com/watch…

on the way back to hotel, you will visit the Tan An wet wholesale meat, fish, vegetable,chicken, duck market. Back to hotel for buffet breakfast if you stay at the Kim Tho hotel . It takes you 3.5 hours to go back to Saigon or you can visit Cu Chi tunnels on the way back to Saigon. It takes you 3.5 hours or 4 hours to reach Ben Dinh tunnels

Have a great time at Mekong Delta

Jason SSS

Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip or overnight on the Mekong Delta?

Hello, I have been looking for your tours everywhere after reading such good things about them. I was wondering how is best to contact you about booking these tours? i am due to arrive in Ho Chi Minh on 8th April but only have just over two weeks in the country so trying to get the first few days planned so that we dont waste time. Look forward to hearing from you

Fay

Kuching, Malaysia
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip or overnight on the Mekong Delta?

Hi, im going to visit Saigon and interest on the Melkong 2 days trips.

How if possible to contact for your service to arrange the tour? thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip or overnight on the Mekong Delta?

Jason can be contacted at jasontripadvisor@yahoo.com

Mark