We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Hue attractions

Which Hue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for Hue attractions

Hi,

I'm planning to visit Hue for 2D/2N (arriving around 3pm on Day 1, and a full day for Day 2).

1) Can anyone advise an itinerary so that I can cover the following places: Tu Doc, Khai Dinh and Minh Mang Tombs, Thien Mu Pagoda, Citadel, and Dong Ba Market.

2) Are the tombs within walking distance to one another? If not, which is more hassle-free: cyclo, taxi or rented car? Can anyone provide costing for these 3 options?

Seems like a lot to ask ... appreciate very much your inputs :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5,863 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Itinerary for Hue attractions

Nina, IMO, if you want to visit the Hue/Da Nang/Hoi An area, you need at least 4 days.

Five days is more of a decent time frame, actually.

It's certainly doable with 3 days, but you're on a run.

If you like Ha Noi, I suggest that you just skip Hoi An, and remain in Hue to explore the city and the surrounding areas (all the way to the coast) properly,

Brooklyn, New York
7 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Itinerary for Hue attractions

Thanks for your reply!

We only wanted to rush through central vietnam because we are going in December and the weather won't be amenable to many of the beach activities. Is 4 full days in Hanoi enough? With an overnight stay in Halong Bay?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5,863 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Itinerary for Hue attractions

Nina, do you mean to say that you have only 2 days for Ha Noi and 2 days for Ha Long Bay (including flight time into Ha Noi)?

If so, you're rushing the whole trip.

For Hue, Hoi An, and back to Da Nang to take a fly into Ha Noi is the equivalent of visiting Wash DC, then drive down to Atlantic City, then dirve to Wilmington Airport to fly to Newark (to visit New York).

The Ha Noi - Ha Long stretch would be the equivalent of visiting NY, then drive to Boston and take a boat trip to Cape Cod Bay, something to that effect.

Surely, one can do DC, Atlantic City, Wilmington Airport, Newark Airport, NY, Boston/Cape Cod/Boston, NY, Newark Airport in one week; but that's a lot of running around.

Your call.

The traffic in Ha Noi is as bad as NY; the analogy that I use is pretty close in term of distance and time, etc.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,699 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Itinerary for Hue attractions

Oh Nina, John speaks wise words.

Firstly, there is no point in visiting central Vietnam at all if you do it do it at a rush as you will experience almost nothing but fatigue. If you want to visit both Hue and Hoi An you would need a minimum of five days to make the effort fairly worthwhile: two days in each plus one day travelling between the two via the scenic route. Otherwise you should ditch one or the other and actually get to experience something meaningful.

Secondly, if you plan to have an overnight cruise on Halong Bay you will most certainly not have four full days in Hanoi. Because the road journey from Hanoi to Halong Bay takes about four hours each way, plus some hanging around waiting to board the junk once you arrive in the bay, and vice versa, you will spend just 24 hours on the junk and your four days in Hanoi shrink to just two.

Your holiday, your decisions, but meaningful memories and insights do not consist of looking out of the windows of planes or buses on a headlong gallop from place to place.

In Vietnam and South East Asia as a whole, less is most definitely more!

Edited: 4:31 pm, October 15, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Itinerary for Hue attractions

Hi John,

thanks for the itinerary, pretty much what I need :) The night market on Nguyen Dinh Chieu that you mentioned ... are the things hawked there more or less the same as Dong Ba market? If I were to choose only one to visit, which one would you recommend? Is the night market open every day?

Someone in the forum recommended Thuy Bieu village near Thien Mu Pagoda ... can anyone provide more info on this village? If I were to reach Hue at 3pm, go to Citadel, Thien Mu Pagoda, Dong Ba market/night market, will I have time for Thuy Bieu village too?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5,863 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Itinerary for Hue attractions

The Thuy Bieu Village is on the other side of the river from Thien Mu Pagoda; you can include it on the second day. The Tu Duc Tomb and Doi Vong Canh (Scenic Lookout Hill) and the rest are on the south if it.

The night market is more like a place for a walk and some street food. There are mostly just "cheap" merchandise; but if you like some inexpensive souvenirs, you can find them. The best thing about it is probably the stall/shack where the students from the College of Arts rent out to display their arts.

You can get a portrait done there if you like.

Only due the Hue festival or special events that they put up nice-looking thatched huts manned by "professionals". That's the time when you can find the good stuffs or more interesting happenings.

Hue, Vietnam
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Itinerary for Hue attractions

Hi Tissuepaperboxfish, there are many suggestion given this topic.

In short, Day 1: 3 pm come to Hue visit only one site to get first image of Hue THE CITADEL. Check in Hotel to relax.

Day 2: Full day tour: Tu Duc, Khai DInh, Minh Mang, Thien Mu and pagoda. You should hire a car with driver for this day tour, because most of them are far away. For my opinion, you should choose two royal tombs instead of 3 of them. Khai Dinh and Minh Mang are good.

Thuy Bieu Village is very peaceful place, not influence by travelers, Thuy Bieu gets a lot of grape fruit. if you have the time, half day tour for this by bike is good.

Nice market in Hue is opened every day, it is good to look, not good to buy. I like to choose Dong Ba market.

I hope these can help you. Enjoy your time!

Edited: 10:25 am, October 17, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Itinerary for Hue attractions

John, rayza and Street-Food-Tour, appreciate your very constructive inputs so much, thank you!

19. Re: Itinerary for Hue attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 19, 2014