We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip to Vietnam

Which Hue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Planning trip to Vietnam

I am planning a trip to Vietnam for 19 days. I would like to try and organise it myself, does anyone have any advice? My partner and i have travelled overseas before and have always gone through travel agencies. I was hoping to do it alot cheaper than the quotes i have recieved. I have been looking at accomodation and online it seems much cheaper. I have also checked the internal flights, has anyone had any issues with booking directly with Vietnam Airlines? Any advice would be appreciated.

Tenterfield...
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Planning trip to Vietnam

Hi Julie yes i am Australian and what you have written is very helpful as we will be flying into Hanoi much appreciated

Kelly

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
287 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Planning trip to Vietnam

When I discovered we needed visas I found that article on TA and everything it says is absolutely true and very helpful. If you can book everything yourself, you will save heaps. If you are flying to Hanoi you will probably find Airasia via KL the cheapest way to go, and just work out where you want to go and for how long (depending on whats to see and what you want to do etc.) and as others have said then just research your hotels based on price and location etc and see whether cheaper to book direct with hotel or on Agoda, Booking.com etc.If you book yourself rather than through an agency like Flight Centre etc you will find you pay by the room, not by the person so accommodation is sometimes half the price they quote.

Vietnam is very easy and layback for travelling and the hotels are very helpful indeed to tourists.

Enjoy your holiday! Hue and Hoi An are both really beautiful if you get the chance.

Tenterfield...
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Planning trip to Vietnam

Thanks so much! So your actually saying you turn up at Hanoi and go to the embassy then!!! Is that correct! And funny I found being on the east coast of Aus it was a cheaper flight with Cathay Pacific flying into Hong Kong then Hanoi Also what time of the month did you go and did you go to Sa Pa and Ninh Binh, thinking of October and those 2 places!!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,674 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Planning trip to Vietnam

Dear Mummab69 you dont go to Hanoi and then the embassy you go to the top of this forum and read everything it has to say on VOA.

its very simple to follow.

Tenterfield...
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Planning trip to Vietnam

Lovely thanks for that

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
287 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Planning trip to Vietnam

Apply for VOA online and print off paperwork and take with you to Hanoi. When you get to the airport there is a counter for Visa On Arrival - fill out a one page info sheet and line up to obtain your visa (you need a passport photo as well but everything is explained in detail in the TA article.

I have been to Ninh Binh and would recommend it but suggest Trang An over Tam Coc as is its not so pushy or crowded. Its a really good day but a long one if you have to go back to Hanoi - if you can stay a night locally for the experience and to make the day not so rushed.

I have not been to Sapa due to time constraints but believe it is very good - Halong Bay is well worth doing for an overnight stay on a boat.

Hope you have a wonderful time in Vietnam.

17. Re: Planning trip to Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 03, 2015