We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hue to Hoi An. Cost

Liverpool
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Hue to Hoi An. Cost

Just been quoted 114USD by hotel to travel from Hue to Hoi An Told journey will take about 3--4hours depending on traffic etc. Have mailed back to say we want to go over the pass. Is this a reasonable price. Thanks.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hue to Hoi An. Cost

Thanks. Our hotel is now quoting 145USD to go over the pass so all your advice is very helpful.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hue to Hoi An. Cost

I checked. We paid $60 and booked through our hotel the night before. Stopped at Hai Van Pass, Lang Co Beach, and Marble Mountain.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,797 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hue to Hoi An. Cost

Jesus wept, Rosie, tell them to pull their heads in! Point out to your hotel that Hue is full of travel agents who would like to organise your car for much less.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hue to Hoi An. Cost

Rosie, I'm going to be in Hue in a couple of weeks and have just arranged a price of $65 (private car, just the 2 of us) through our hotel with 4 stops on the way including Hai Van Pass. Obviously your hotel is overcharging and you need to try somewhere else.

Good luck

Victoria

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hue to Hoi An. Cost

I dunno,

We were there a couple of weeks ago and a car cost $65 from Danang to Hue (standard price) a 7 seater was $75 and we got a 12 seater for $85 (Danang to Hue including the Tu duc tombs) Get a price from the hotel that you are going to and it should be cheaper (maybe)

Mark

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hue to Hoi An. Cost

That's quite a big difference though Mark imo - our hotel has quoted us $65 and Rosie's $145 - both going over the Pass.

(Enjoyed reading the smidgens of your trip - tell more! )

Victoria

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Hue to Hoi An. Cost

Hey again Victoria,

I was just pointing out that our prices were Danang to Hue and that Hoi an to Hue (or visa versa) would probably add another $20 or so, but as you say, the OP's price is way too high.

Smidgens coming as time allows :-) When are you heading over???

Mark

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Hue to Hoi An. Cost

Just a week to go now Mark, wondering how we’re going to do the heat – maybe if I could be treated like a dog, just hose my tummy down and I’ll be one cool puppy. It’s going to hit 8 degrees Monday night in Auckland, just a fraction chilly. I’ve trailed through so many Vietnam forums I just can’t wait to get over there now, so despite the temperature difference – just bring it on.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Hue to Hoi An. Cost

Dear all,

Is it not possible to use public buses for far cheaper than $50+ ? Just a thought. Or am I entering the budget vs luxurious debate?

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,755 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Hue to Hoi An. Cost

Ah WillMS777, not so much the public vs luxurious debate, but more a question of whether to make a day of the journey and take the scenic route over the Hai Van Pass, or stay closer to sea level and get there faster and more cheaply.

At almost sea level, I once travelled by bus and enjoyed most of the journey, the exception being the long transit through the tunnel under the Hai Van Pass, rather than going going over it and glorying in the views.

A third alternative I would definitely recommend is taking the train for a smidgeon more than the bus (approximately £2.50 for the train fare). Undoubtedly the most scenic train journey in Vietnam because it hugs the coast and cliffs en route, and has the advantage of the views not being obscured by mist and light rain, which can happen on the journey over the pass.