We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HoiAn to Hue by train or car?

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
507 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
HoiAn to Hue by train or car?

We're three people traveling from HoiAn to Hue. I'm trying to decide what's the best mode of transportation. Does the train follow the same route as the road, or does it take a more scenic path? I'm not necessarily interested in stopping at Marble Mountain or the beach. Any advice would be appreciated!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,157 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HoiAn to Hue by train or car?

First of all, Hoi An has no station for a train, but the train from Danang is more scenic than the car because the tracks are out on the cliffs.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
834 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HoiAn to Hue by train or car?

Have done the train trip three times and just love it. You will be well outnumbered by locals which makes for a great experience along with the wonderful views.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HoiAn to Hue by train or car?

I like the train because it's scenic. Also I wouldn't travel by car unless I had to, as it is not possible to relax the way they drive. Chances are you would survive the car trip, but at least on the train you are pretty much guaranteed you will survive.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HoiAn to Hue by train or car?

It will be more suitable if you use car!

hoian
Level Contributor
31 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HoiAn to Hue by train or car?

hiho australian norm 1000000 pc right train 300 aweek killed on roads in vietnam good luck ken

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HoiAn to Hue by train or car?

By train that not only give you the better view but also an interesting experience that most of westerner would like to do and it s not to much longer than car and save you quite a bit of money.

You might need to hire a taxi from the train station as it doesn't go throught Hoi An town.

Cheers,

Nhung

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
507 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HoiAn to Hue by train or car?

Thanks everyone for the replies. We decided to go by train. Do you know the schedule and cost?

hoian
Level Contributor
31 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HoiAn to Hue by train or car?

have a great trip good luck ken

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
834 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HoiAn to Hue by train or car?

You can find the timetable at themaninseat61 website. The price depends on whether you book hard seat, soft seat, hard sleeper or soft sleeper. Certainly don't need a sleeper for this trip but we ended up in hard sleeper in June as we bought our tickets 30 mins before departure in Vietnam school holiday season and that was all that was available. Cost was VND 125,000, approx. $AUD6.

A lot of people recommend soft seat but if the train is crowded then luggage storage can become an issue with some locals bringing on an amazing array of goods including small trees!

For the Da Nang - Hoi An trip the seats on the right hand side of the carriage are best for the views. If soft seat is not available hard seat is fine for a few hours.

Edited: 10:43 pm, October 06, 2012
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
438 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: HoiAn to Hue by train or car?

car would be more convenient coz not train station in Hoi an, but train would be more scenic and safe, you could take bus from HA to DN train station then take train to Hue. see the timeable and rate on website: vietnamrailways.com