We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"The Duck Pond" book

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
"The Duck Pond" book

Having just read a fabulous book written by a now good friend of mine. I have to recommend it for prior reading for anyone interested in the DMZ area of Viet Nam and anyone visiting or touring the DMZ area. The book is a great read and for me, took me back to my days in Viet Nam complete with wide eyed amazement having had my "Uncle Sam" deposit me at such a tender age in this remote and terrifying place. Bob Johnston the author now lives in Tuy Hoa with his wife Phuong running a cafe featuring American food. The book gives you a glimpse of Viet Nam seldom mentioned anywhere in any history books about the war. A small piece of the complete picture but a vital snipet if you want to know the intricate workings of how the US military fed, housed and supplied its troops in remote areas of Viet Nam. From the early days of establishing forward areas in dense forbidding spots along the Cau Viet river to joyful rendezous with large Naval ships on the open South China Sea. History buffs will love it and the casual reader will get a taste of what it was like for alot of young men to be transported to RVN...Republic of Viet Nam.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "The Duck Pond" book

Agreed.... a worthy read. It is unfortunate that the American publisher seems to have shelved it.

Owee

www.owee58.com

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,058 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "The Duck Pond" book

Sounds like something I'd be interested in reading. If I send you something- cash or something you'd like to swap for- would you be interested in sending me a copy?

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "The Duck Pond" book

Foddie,

I have a copy you can have when we meet if you wish.

Owee

www.owee58.com

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,058 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "The Duck Pond" book

Cool! Thanks :-)

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: "The Duck Pond" book

how can i get a copy !!!

what is the address of the restaurant , seeing as it is just a hop and skip away from JB... a good reason for a bike ride ... and a chance to get to those nice beaches on the sea side road from vung ro to thuy hoa

if you want to talk about that time, go to Hoa's place, a small guest house at non nuoc/marble mountain, just off the beach he used to hang out and work with your side back then as a kid,

he's a great guy, great hospitality and great food

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "The Duck Pond" book

Bob's American Cafe can be found here on TA...having been reviewed by afew of the faithful who have braved it to Tuy Hoa.....abit off the beaten path but as it were my former Battalion headquarters was there...the 52nd Combat Aviation Battalion. It's on Nguyen Dien Chieu st. not far from the public beach near the Long Beach Resort.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: "The Duck Pond" book

thanx

would he have copies of his book

8. Re: "The Duck Pond" book

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:30 pm, May 18, 2012
tuy hoa city
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "The Duck Pond" book

if 'foodie' is coming here I can give him/her their own copy. They are just the cheap Vnese ones but the price is right ;)) Bob

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: "The Duck Pond" book

can I get one too ??

i been here so long, i would not know what a real book looks like

Edited: 10:49 pm, May 11, 2012