We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speedy Gonzales tour of the Citadel

Boston
Level Contributor
325 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Speedy Gonzales tour of the Citadel

I'm roughing out an itinerary for our trip next spring so that I can schedule the right flight dates. I had originally planned not to visit Hue, but I'd really hate to miss the Citadel. We don't have a lot of time, and the thought of visiting tombs will likely freak my kids out.

Is it possible to spend the morning seeing the Citadel and then afteer lunch, drive to Hoi An that afternoon, stopping off at Hai Van Pass and Marble Mountain on the way? or is there just not enough time to do that?

We are a group of five, two adults, two kids and Nana. I'd also appreciate a recommendation for a tour guide that can cover this itinerary. Most of the ones on TA seem to be motorcycle tours, where I think a car tour would be more appropriate.

Thanks!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,779 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speedy Gonzales tour of the Citadel

The tombs (with the exception of Khai Dinh's) are not really tombs. They are summer palace complexes. The emperor would have a summer palace which he enjoyed during his lifetime, then when he died he would be buried somewhere among the many acres of garden, no one knows where as it was a secret. Khai Dinh's tomb is a large temple building entirely covered with gaudy mosaic and is a sight to behold. There is a giant sarcophagus at the centre of it, but it just looks like an elaborately decorated plinth and is not at all creepy.

If you spent one day as you propose in your second paragraph I suspect you would be exhausted at the end of it (especially Nana). Spend the whole day in Hue (do visit the "tombs") and get your hotel in Hue to organise you a car for Hoi An the next day.

Boston
Level Contributor
325 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Speedy Gonzales tour of the Citadel

Good thing I checked. I think I can extend the trip by another day to make sure there's enough time for everything without too much rushing.

Thanks for the feedback.

3. Re: Speedy Gonzales tour of the Citadel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, June 18, 2013