We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entrance prices to be hiked

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Entrance prices to be hiked

…baomoi.com/Home/…238716.epi

Seemingly, the price of tickets has not changed since 1993.

Also interesting is the fact that there is a price for local Vietnamese and another for tourists. While I do understand that many tourists may be more affluent than locals, this practice sends a wrong signal.

If the government can run a dual price scheme, the rest of the tourist industry will feel free to do the same.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Entrance prices to be hiked

I disagree. Firstly, most people on this forum are either first time travelers to Vietnam or repeat travelers. The rest are either in the travel business, openly or not, or they just love the country.

Second, Vietnam is no longer a cheap destination (OK, so it is cheaper than the US or Europe). If they do not get inflation under control, Vietnam will lose its attractiveness (my prediction).

Thirdly, most people dislike dual pricing and think it is unfair. Dual pricing might sit better with visitors if visitors didn't feel scammed every step they take, so they just see dual pricing as yet another scam, albeit an official one.

Forth: does the current level of Vietnam in terms of income and standard of living really support entry fees on the level seen in developed countries?

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Entrance prices to be hiked

I don't mind paying higher prices than the locals, in most countries that we've visited the locals always pay less which I think is acceptable.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Entrance prices to be hiked

VN is still a cheap holiday: not only cheaper than the US & Europe, but also cheaper than other developing countries eg India & South America.

India & Sth America & their Governments enforce dual pricing & the tourist prices are also comparable to that of first world countries.

Also it depends on which demographic you speak to, as to whether they find dual pricing unfair eg my demographic of hospital professionals don't think so.

Like Chrella, I don't have a problem with paying higher prices. Besides, I've been scammed for much heftier amounts in Sydney.

However, long term residents of VN (irrespective of their country of origin) should definitely be paying local prices.

14. Re: Entrance prices to be hiked

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:12 pm, June 12, 2013