We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for City Tour of Hue and Surroundings?

Level Contributor
633 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for City Tour of Hue and Surroundings?

I will be in Hue for 2 days at the end of December and would like to spend one day on a bus tour to see the main attractions listed below, which, from what I have read, are spread out and not easily accessible on one's own.

I think it would save time to take a budget-priced or reasonably priced city bus tour to see them and welcome your suggestions and advice.

- Minh Mang Tomb

- Khai Dinh Tomb

- Tu Duc Tomb

- Conical Hat making village and Incense Making Village

- Hue Citadel

- Thien Mu Pagoda

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for City Tour of Hue and Surroundings?

They are quite spread out and in different directions, the only one easily visited on foot is the Citadel, it's just a short walk over the brigde from the hotel area.

There are lots of tour companies in Hue offering 1 day tours that include those places you can go by car, bus, or on the back of a motorbike.. Personally I wouldn't do it by bus as I hate having to wait for a group or being rushed if I want to spend longer somewhere, but that's just my preference. There are also some companies that do boat tours but that's by far the slowest and least practical way of seeing the city.

Tu Duc and Khai Dinh are the 2 most popular tombs, and many people opt just to visit those 2, but if you are not tombed out after them then Minh Mang and/or Gia Long are worth a visit. Also Thien Mu Pagoda is good to visit in the morning or afternoon when the monks are in prayer.

Thanh Toan bridge & village is also a highlight, but I don't know if buses go there as the roads are narrow.

I know of several good companies that offer full day tours for approx $15, p.m me if you would like details as I don't want to tout them on here ;)

2. Re: Suggestions for City Tour of Hue and Surroundings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, February 29, 2012
Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for City Tour of Hue and Surroundings?

We went with Mandarin Cafe which is a reliable agency and enjoyed our tour.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for City Tour of Hue and Surroundings?

self promo again huediemo?

Your itinerary looks sketchy to me, how long do the guests get at each place? You can't visit 3 tombs in 3hrs, it's just not possible. What restaurant is lunch at? How do you finish the tour at 4pm and still get to see sunset on the river?

I would hate to be sucked into booking this as there is no way it can deliver what it promises.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for City Tour of Hue and Surroundings?

Evelyn, to do the sites you've chosen any justice, try to spread the tour over the two days. Then you can spend as little or as much time in each of your choices as you want. The Citadel itself is enormous, and even a half day would only cover a small portion of it. Similarly for the tombs: they're not destinations that you rush through. Rather they're places you immerse yourself in and explore at leisure.

Hue is just too beautiful a place for a whirlwind tour.

Level Contributor
633 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for City Tour of Hue and Surroundings?

Thank you Chrella, shoppingunderwater and westendgaz for your helpful suggestions.

I am still in the planning stage so can spread the sightseeing over two days. If the temples are too many to see in a day tour and I might get "templed-out", which are the ones that are a "must-see"?

From what I have read, I gather that I could visit the Citadel, Dong Ba Market and take a walk along the Perfume river on my own- maybe walking or taking a cyclo on arrival day?

Then the next day I could take a tour to see a few of the main temples (suggestions please) and the conical hat and/or incense villages, if feasible?

I am not keen on spending time on the beach but in taking in the scenery by walking along the river and when on the tour.

shoppingunderwater I look forward to your PM with the names of inexpensive or moderately priced day tours that you recommend.

Thanks

Evelyn

Level Contributor
633 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for City Tour of Hue and Surroundings?

I am still searching for reasonably priced, reliable day tours by bus to see the main attractions in Hue.

Can anyone suggest a full day tour by bus in Hue that would take me to the main attractions?

I am considering doing a tour with Mandarin Cafe recommended by Chrella and another poster on another thread in this forum.

Chrella, would you mind providing me with some details of your tour with Mandarin Cafe - main attractions seen and price, please? You could either post on this forum or PM me if you prefer.

Shopunderwater, I look forward to hearing from you about the $15 tours you mentioned.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help me with finding an inexpensive realiable bus tour in Hue and thank you in advance.

Edited: 10:37 am, March 01, 2012
Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for City Tour of Hue and Surroundings?

Hi Evelyn,

Sorry Ive been busy the last few days. I will get you some suggestions asap. You don't need to book anything yet though, if you are wanting to go on a big bus they always have space, and there are lots of those buses, you could easily wait until you get here to book - especially as December is mid-winter and the weather can be unpredictable. This isn't the sort of thing you need to pay for in advance and in the next 9 mths there could easily be new options available.

leicester
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for City Tour of Hue and Surroundings?

If you are not adverse to hanging onto the back of a motorbike the tour with a rider is great fun, you get taken to all the places with the wind in your hair and can stay as long as you like at each, time allowing of course to fit it all in. We did this is Hue and it was a highlight of the trip for us. Hotels can normally suggest a rider, ours found us wandering the streets and we had never done anything so unplanned before, we just got on and had a ball. I'm not usually that adventurous re motorbikes but felt very safe despite being twice the size of my little rider. The traffic never seemed to be as bad as in the big cities and the riders took us to places off the tourist trail as well as to friends for a wonderful lunch in what looked like a garage! I think the whole day including lunch only cost about $15.....worth every penny.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
457 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for City Tour of Hue and Surroundings?

I am doing the Easy Rider tour a big step for a person who has never ventured on a bike in all my 50 years of life. We are doing it on Wednesday so can pop on after and let you know if you like.