We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hue JBR! My favourite city in Vietnam!!

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Hue JBR! My favourite city in Vietnam!!

Firstly, I would like to thank the regular contributors in this forum!! You guys helped me so much in this forum and it's awesome!! This is a very whirlwind trip of Central Vietnam and I sincerely wish that I had spent more time here rather than in Saigon..

Arrived here early in the morning from Saigon and took the shuttle bus to Camellia hotel. We arrived in the hotel approximately 10PM. Upon arriving here, I booked a car from the tour desk in the hotel and he arrived 20 minutes later. Thank God that there is still a car available. We visited the Imperial Citadel, Thien Mu pagoda, Minh Mang tomb, Khai Dihn Tomb and Tuc duc tomb all in one day.

The first place that we went to is the Imperial citadel. It is basically drizzling the whole day but it doesn't really affect our travels as there are no heavy rains. The imperial citadel looks like a 'copy' of the forbidden city but in ruins. It adds to the character of the place actually. Reminds me of the ruined palace of Old Banten near Jakarta. It is an amazing place but the 'wow' factor is not there.

The second place that we go to is the Thien Mu Pagoda. It is located just beside the river and again. Managed to get a glimpse of junior monks helping out in the temple. A pretty interesting site. After that, our drives took us for lunch at a Bo bun Hue stall and it's very delicious. Definitely a must-try when in Hue.

The third place that we went to is the Minh Mang Tomb. It is amazing at first sight but not until you visit the other two tombs. The tombs here resembles a park rather than a tomb.

The fourth place is the most impressive tomb that I ever visited. This is obviously my favorite tomb. It is Khai Dinh's tomb. We are amazed by the architecture and the grandeur inside the tomb. the decor inside the building was top-notch and very well preserved. If you only have time for one tomb in Hue. Be sure to choose this one!!

The fifth place is Tuc Duc's tomb.. By the 3rd tomb, I already feel templed-out.. I love the man-made lake in the complex. It shows that the Vietnamese kings are very serious about their after-life. i really do wonder how much they spend on such opulent tombs. But they are investing in Vietnam's future in an indirect way IMO and that's what makes Hue unique.

The most memorable place in Hue is the city itself. I walked along the perfume river in hue at night and it is a very pretty sight. It doesn't rain at night so we are able to stroll in the river. I really love to do people watching there. Watching the local Vietnamese kids hanging out with their friends. i really recommend strolling along the river at night.

Too bad that we have to leave Hoi An tomorrow. I wish that I have the time to visit the DMZ but let's make this a motivation to come back!! Would definitely spend two nights the next time I am back here!!

Thanks for reading!!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hue JBR! My favourite city in Vietnam!!

I'm really glad you enjoyed Hue as you either love it or hate it, we loved it and can't understand when people write that they wished they had skipped it.

Thanks for taking time to write the report I really enjoyed reading it.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hue JBR! My favourite city in Vietnam!!

"we are able to stroll in the river." Wow, Hue had such an effect on you that you were able to walk on water :)

Great report, nice to see Hue getting a bit of good PR in this forum instead of the usual suspects!

Australia
Level Contributor
384 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hue JBR! My favourite city in Vietnam!!

Nice JBR, thanks. We missed Hue on our trip, just didn't have enough time but intend spending a few nights there on our next trip.

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hue JBR! My favourite city in Vietnam!!

Thank you for reading my JBR!! Would feel bad if I don't report great stuff about my favourite city in Vietnam!! Hehehe.. :)

Oops.. I didn't stroll in the river.. But I wish I could.. Hahaha.. :p

Edited: 12:44 pm, January 15, 2012
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hue JBR! My favourite city in Vietnam!!

I have a great liking of Hue too Stefzzz, and thoroughly enjoyed my walks along the river in the evening during the week I spent there.

I've obviously missed out on one thing though - walking on the water. Will try that the next time I'm there. Although on second thoughts....

perth wa
Level Contributor
247 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hue JBR! My favourite city in Vietnam!!

Thank you! I enjoyed reading your JBR. We will be visiting all of the temples you mentioned and will be visiting them in two half day trips as we have two children.

Did you enjoy any restaurants whilst you were there?

Does anybody who knows Hue or visited Hue have any restaurant suggestions?

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hue JBR! My favourite city in Vietnam!!

<<Did you enjoy any restaurants whilst you were there?>>

I enjoyed the Bo Bun Hue stall that the driver brought me.. It is the specialty of Hue.. Other than that, the food is pretty much so-so.. Maybe I am just not lucky..

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hue JBR! My favourite city in Vietnam!!

nice report Stefzzz! Hue has so many great places to visit and its a shame that many tourists just whizz in and out or don't come at all. Tu Hieu pagoda and Thanh Thoan wooden bridge are well worth visiting as well, and further out of town you have Tam Giang lagoon, Thuan An beach and the City of Tombs...so much to see!!

Lachy - there are lots of good restaurants, what type of food are you after? One of my fav's is Lien Hoa, it serves cheap & amazing vegetarian Vietnamese food and is always packed full of locals. The Hung Vuong Inn is also good for Vietnamese or Western food. There is also great Indian & Japanese, even some good Mexican in Hue, as well as the usual western & Italian places.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
39 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hue JBR! My favourite city in Vietnam!!

so envyy... LoL.. hahaha.. so glad to hear you did enjoy the trip.. and you have so inspired me to visit vietnam someday!

waiting for ur next JBR steffz :)

10. Re: Hue JBR! My favourite city in Vietnam!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, February 12, 2013