We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Ho Chi Minh City
Search

Travel from Ho Chi Minh - Nha Trang

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
Travel from Ho Chi Minh - Nha Trang
Save

Hi everyone,

I'm off to Vietnam for my honeymoon next July and need a little advice re: getting from A to B. We arrive June 30th in Ho Chi Minh and I was planning 2 nights there before heading for Nha Trang to check in on the 2nd July. I was wondering if it is best to do that (2 nights in Ho Chi Minh) and have a massive day travelling on the 2nd to get to Nha Trang. Or should I just do 1 night in Ho Chi Minh and then do a night at somewhere along the way like Phan Thiet?

Either way, how do I get from Ho Chi Minh to Nha Trang? Flights are sooo expensive so wondering are their private vans/cars or easy trains. If a train how an earth do I go about booking them and is it easy enough to find the station in Ho Chi Minh with no Vietnamese language?

Would appreciate any advice greatly.

Thanks!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
113 reviews
44 helpful votes
1. Re: Travel from Ho Chi Minh - Nha Trang
Save

You should spend all 2 nights in HCM before heading to Nha Trang, can do one day to Mekong Delta. One night in PHan Thiet is not recommended, 5 hours from HCM and it is nice beach, at least two nights there to relax.

Check online or ask your hotel to arrange train tickets to Nha Trang either you can take bus. HCM train station is not far from central - can call taxi to come there

Level Contributor
1,390 posts
28 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: Travel from Ho Chi Minh - Nha Trang
Save

You should spend 2 nights in HCM then fly to Nhatrang, flights are very inexpensive . Just checked, under $20.

Edited: 12:48 am, October 28, 2016
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,604 posts
31 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: Travel from Ho Chi Minh - Nha Trang
Save

I have to wonder what flight booking site you are looking at as flights are only 60 dollars on Vietnam airlines. As the time gets closer they discount tickets as low as 20 dollars. https://www.vietnamairlines.com/ and less with discount carriers. Trains are about half that and most of them travel at night so you could save money by sleeping your way to Nha Trang http://www.dsvn.vn/#/ You will find it easy to get around.

Owee58

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam, Hanoi
Level Contributor
13,562 posts
4. Re: Travel from Ho Chi Minh - Nha Trang
Save

"Flights are sooo expensive...."

How expensive?

And what website were you looking at?

Cheers,

Scott

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
7,449 posts
22 reviews
11 helpful votes
5. Re: Travel from Ho Chi Minh - Nha Trang
Save

You have probably found an agent who can buy tickets and resell them . Look for Vietnam Airlines home site.

The bus ride to Nha Trang is atrocious. I haven't don't the train but it would far more acceptable than the bus.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
52 reviews
24 helpful votes
6. Re: Travel from Ho Chi Minh - Nha Trang
Save

Train overnight is easy. You'll tart in the evening and arrive in the early morning in the center of Nha Trang.

Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Travel from Ho Chi Minh - Nha Trang
Save

Fly fly fly. Cheap flights and quick. Like others have said I have flown between the two for $20.

Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
8. Re: Travel from Ho Chi Minh - Nha Trang
Save

i strongly recommend you to take train, night train from about 10pm to Nha Trang, morning trm about 6 am, in Nha Trang, about 300,000 VND / ticket ( soft air con seat ), easily to ask reception to book for you.

DONCASTER - ENGLAND
Level Contributor
410 posts
15 reviews
19 helpful votes
9. Re: Travel from Ho Chi Minh - Nha Trang
Save

Flights to Nha Trang are cheap, I paid $24 for a flight from HCMC to Nha Trang 3 weeks ago for a flight in December.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
52 reviews
24 helpful votes
10. Re: Travel from Ho Chi Minh - Nha Trang
Save

For night trains I don't recommend a seat, take the soft sleeper.

I try to avoid short distance flights whenever possible. A night train safes you one night at a hotel and you'll arrive next morning in the middle of Nha Trang. To compare prices, add the hotel and transfer costs.