We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which has more to do , hue or hoi an ?

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
which has more to do , hue or hoi an ?

hi again

im nearly finished my itinarary , just the finishing touches now .

i was wondering , which place has more to see and do ? hue or

hoi an ?

not into laying on the beach wasting sight seeing time , i can do that at home , i want to see as much as i can , i just cant figure which town has the most to do ?

any suggestions ?

greatly appreciated

battling

Germany
Level Contributor
175 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which has more to do , hue or hoi an ?

Totally different places, we went to both, Hue as a town is non-descript but on the whole I think from a sight-seeing perspective has more to offer. The Citadel is magnificent, where the emperor lived with his wives, will take up a whole half day. You will also get to hear some Vietnamese musicians playing their traditional music in one of the halls in the Citadel. Another very worth while trip is up the perfume river by boat and stopping off at a few of the temples en route. Some of the temples are beautiful with lilly ponds and inner courtyards. - very peaceful -

Hoi an umm its a little bit too geared for the tourist, but it is interesting with its many shops selling colourful art and taylors sewing away. We saw silk worms and the process of silk making here which was fascinating. The markets too are colourful to wonder around, its very much a people watching place, observing a different culture. We did one trip by boat to an island that did pottery and roof tiles -- found it a little disappointing and not worth doing.

Summing up , go to Hue for the temples, or Hoi an to do a bit of souveneer shopping in an old town.

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which has more to do , hue or hoi an ?

hi bofcof.

thanks for your input ,

by the things i had read i thought as much , but i just needed someones opinion who had been there.

i really did want to do the perfume river and i know i would be really disapointed if i didnt do it , shopping i can do anywhere, its the pretty sights that i want to see.

thanks again

battling

BMT, Central...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: which has more to do , hue or hoi an ?

Hi Battling:

As BofCof said Hue is different because the Nguyen dynasty made it their home. (My wife & I also live their part of the year, too.)

To get more enjoyment from your visit a little knowledge about the Form School of Feng Shui might assist as the palace and its grounds were laid out following FS practices.

The Truong Son Mountains in the west are the 'Black Tortoise', the two islands in the perfume river are the White Tiger and Green Dragon, the Perfume river is the water element and the rising land between the river and the sea is the foothill and facing mountain.

Sounds crazy but knowing a little about the principles explains much about the layout and design of the palace.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which has more to do , hue or hoi an ?

Just visited both - in defense of Hoi an there are excellent cooking classes ( red bridge - book through Hai scount cafe) and Madame Ly two that come to mind. Red bridge was excellent ! cant pass judgement on the other.

The My som ruins were also very interesting ( can go out at 5 am and beat the heat and crowds) or later in day ( tip- go to cham museum in danang before you fly out to next spot or as you fly in as its a perfect accompaniment to the tour.- has a lot of exhibits removed from sites to preserve them and also from a lot of other cham sites around vn.)

In hoi an you could also grab a bicycle and ride out to beaches ( mind you the beaches looks a little worst for wear after typoon but having a fresh juice on the beach was great in the morning after riding through the paddy fields)

Hue- the tombs and the old citadel fascinating but it didnt seem to have a nice vibe to it - other travellers at my hotel felt the same way . I ended up spending extra days in hoiu an as I enjoyed the town and the people.

My personal opinion , for what its worth! others obviously feel differently

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which has more to do , hue or hoi an ?

Just visited both - in defense of Hoi an there are excellent cooking classes ( red bridge - book through Hai scount cafe) and Madame Ly two that come to mind. Red bridge was excellent ! cant pass judgement on the other.

The My som ruins were also very interesting ( can go out at 5 am and beat the heat and crowds) or later in day ( tip- go to cham museum in danang before you fly out to next spot or as you fly in as its a perfect accompaniment to the tour.- has a lot of exhibits removed from sites to preserve them and also from a lot of other cham sites around vn.)

In hoi an you could also grab a bicycle and ride out to beaches ( mind you the beaches looks a little worst for wear after typoon but having a fresh juice on the beach was great in the morning after riding through the paddy fields)

Hue- the tombs and the old citadel fascinating but it didnt seem to have a nice vibe to it - other travellers at my hotel felt the same way . I ended up spending extra days in hoiu an as I enjoyed the town and the people.

My personal opinion , for what its worth! others obviously feel differently

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which has more to do , hue or hoi an ?

ohhhhhh

now you make me want to do both again !!! hahaha

thought i had my plans down pat..

thanks noosa

did you get my reply to your cheap hotel with a pool in hcmc ....the oscar hotel !

thanks

battling

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which has more to do , hue or hoi an ?

yes thanks for that info but ended up at liberty 2 as I couldnt be bothered anymore with ringing around ! Ill keep the Oscar in mind for next trip or if anyone else ever asks a similiar question! At the end of my trip now, in dalat at Dreams Hotel ( 10/10) which Ive enjoyed, and about to return to HCMC for last 2 days before flying to KL and then onto home on 3rd nov 06. Have had a ball here and cant wait to return

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which has more to do , hue or hoi an ?

yes thanks for that info but ended up at liberty 2 as I couldnt be bothered anymore with ringing around ! Ill keep the Oscar in mind for next trip or if anyone else ever asks a similiar question! At the end of my trip now, in dalat at Dreams Hotel ( 10/10) which Ive enjoyed, and about to return to HCMC for last 2 days before flying to KL and then onto home on 3rd nov 06. Have had a ball here and cant wait to return

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which has more to do , hue or hoi an ?

sorry about the duplicate posts - too much tiger beer ?

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which has more to do , hue or hoi an ?

hi noosa

lucky you didnt listen to me and go for the oscar for the pool , it doesnt have one after all , but the saigon palace does , i dont know how i got that all mixed , im sure i read somewhere on the net that it had a pool .....and i havent had any beer ! ...maybe i need one after all this reading and studying !

thanks