We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problem With ATM in HCMC - Bui Vien Street

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kootenays, B.C...
4 posts
Save Topic
Problem With ATM in HCMC - Bui Vien Street

I'm not a person to make alot of complaints, especially because of the amazing time I had when visiting Vietnam in Nov./Dec. of 2013, .... but after returning to Canada, I discovered that an ATM I had been using on Bui Vien Street in District 1 had been charging me 5 million dong instead of 3 million. On each of 5 ocassions I received 3 million, but my bank here always took out the equivalent of 5 million. On 10 other times - at different machines - the amount (usually 2 million) was always correct.

After telling my bank here about it, they said that unless I could prove that I only received 3 mill. they couldn't help me, because the withdrawl came through as 5 mill. to them.

I've never experienced this type of problem anywhere before (using 1000's of ATMs), so it makes me concerned about what I should trust in the future.

As a precaution - if in Vietnam - I'll be going into banks only to get cash, keeping all receipts for transactions with my bank here, maintaining a detailed list, and reducing my daily withdrawl limit.

The particular machine is the one in front of The Beautiful Saigon 3 Hotel - open to the street. Wish I had a picture that I could post.

Curious to hear if anyone else has had the same problem at this ATM. ???

On the other hand though, I truly had a wonderful time, and I'm sure I'll be going back for another visit before too long.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problem With ATM in HCMC - Bui Vien Street

Lots of posts about ATMs here. I am wondering if the machine gave you a printed receipt that you could verify on the spot? If so, you could have possibly confronted the bank while you were in Sai Gon and again in your country when you returned. Other advice often provided here is to use machines inside the bank or perhaps physically attached to the bank itself.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed yourself, have a new approach to withdrawing cash, and will perhaps travel back to the country. Good luck and Happy travels!

Richard

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problem With ATM in HCMC - Bui Vien Street

In Bui Vien and around it there are 4 Commonwealt Bank ATM, free and no limits.

Please give us the name of the bank ATM.

I have free SMS and email for every transaction on any of my cards, so I was thinking that everybody in advanced countries should have even more warning (GPS tracking for location...)...^^__^^

For now I can only advice not to use VietinBank ATMs, they charge 55.000d fee and they will not tell that on screen.

ALWAYS ASK FOR RECEIPT.

Why Vietnam banks have a top limit of 2 millions will remain a total mystery.

Edited: 12:44 am, December 27, 2013
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problem With ATM in HCMC - Bui Vien Street

<<<<Other advice often provided here is to use machines inside the bank or perhaps physically attached to the bank itself.

Very good advice Richard, but unfortunately in Bui Vien there are ZERO banks and 100+ ATMs....

Thanxs Australia, thanxs Commonwealth Bank... ^^__^^

In Mui Ne the strip is 15km, 100+ ATM, not one bank.

Kootenays, B.C...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Problem With ATM in HCMC - Bui Vien Street

If it helps to know the GPS location of the ATM .... it's 10.768008, 106.694219. It had options for amounts up to 5 million dong, .... which I tried once ..... and didn't get anything, so I went back to 3 million, which always worked.

And also, I can't say for sure what bank it was, so I don't want to point fingers.

I remember that there are banks on the main Bui Vien Street, but they were either closed when I was needing cash, or seemed inconvenient.

You're right about saving receipts and checking against bank statements. It's just that this has never happened to me before ..... ever.

As for service charges, it's common over here in Canada or the US to pay 2 or 3 bucks ..... that's 40,000 or 60,000 dong ... and we just accept it as one of those necessary evils when dealing with a bank that isn't our own. So that's not the issue. It's 2,000,000 dong with every withdrawl.

And if I can help someone from getting robbed, ....... GREAT.

To me, honesty SHOULD go without question, especially for financial institutions, But now you'll say that I must be dreaming.

And yes, I'll be back in Vietnam before long, probably for 2 or 3 months, ..... just trying to figure out the best times for airfares, whether to go before or after TET, etc.

I know there's lots of good info here on tripadvisor, but it's nothing like being in-country and discovering the truth, seeing what an amazing country it is, and experiencing the warmth and welcome from the people there. Plus it's so much more affordable there.

If any of you experienced the crap that I went through at Canada Customs when I returned to my own country, you'd leave as fast as you could. It's such a shame that we've turned into such a fearful society here ...... a big change from the 50's and 60's when I grew up.

Thank you all for your comments.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Problem With ATM in HCMC - Bui Vien Street

Thank you for your useful, non-judgemental post. It is good to be made awwre of annoyances and be reminded regarding keeping receipts.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Problem With ATM in HCMC - Bui Vien Street

GFROMBC , there is not 1 bank on Bui Vien St , but there are a few on Pham Ngu Lau . The commonwealth bank will charge a $2 aud fee for its own customers withdrawing from a CBS machine , it is not free . The Citibank ATM at Circle K on Bui Vien will let you withdraw 8 million

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Problem With ATM in HCMC - Bui Vien Street

GFROMBC , yes also in Italy we pay if using another bank but we never do that, and all online banks have free ATM cards.

A 30.000d fee on only 2.000.000d is not cheap, 1,5% meaning people will pay hotel with a credit card for 3%.

Too bad you don't remember the name of the bank.

For now i'm sticking with Commonwealth Bank in HCMC and Techconbank at the beach, the ATM is never out of money or out of connection even during "black friday", some ATM still gave me the no host yesterday.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,575 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Problem With ATM in HCMC - Bui Vien Street

Interesting....... I saw on the local Vietnamese tv news of a Hungarian and Russian that were arrested for fraud related to rigged ATM's in Saigon. I wonder...... hmmmmmmmm

Owee58

9. Re: Problem With ATM in HCMC - Bui Vien Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 30, 2014