We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not think it wont happen to you.

A B
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
61 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Do not think it wont happen to you.

Near the Bhen tra market the neckless from my husband was stolen. We were just crossing THE street and à scooter passed by in a way we had to stop. And then the guy on the scooter pulled THE golden chain from THE neck of my husband. I tolled him not to wear it but he was stubborn! We don't think it was à random act but that it was on porpose and that they sought us out.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not think it wont happen to you.

Unfortunate and unlucky. I've been wearing mine for 10+ yrs in SEA. (just need to have your wits about you)

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not think it wont happen to you.

Only jewellery I ever take to Vietnam is my wedding band. I bought a solar driven, water resistant 500 $ watch that will not break and leave the Rolex at home with the gold chain with the jade Buddha.

If for no other reason than to get out of every Vietnamese woman pointing at the chain and saying "take it off or it will be stolen". Kind of funny, as I bought it in Vietnam...

Oh well.

To the OP: don't let it ruin your holidays. You are probably insured, and if you're not you just bought yourself a lesson.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not think it wont happen to you.

Thanks for the warning but best never to wear jewellery anywhere not only in HCMC it can happen anywhere.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not think it wont happen to you.

Haha, forgot to mention that I'd have written my previous post on my nice Nexus 7. Except it was lifted from my pocket in Vietnam....

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not think it wont happen to you.

My Casio watch was put in a drawer the day I bought a Moto Razr, still fine but screaming "I want the net..."...

A B
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
61 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not think it wont happen to you.

Thx, it will not ruine our holliday. It à lesson learned and indeed it could happen anywhere. And to anyone. We travel with our 7 year old son and up to now we only encouterd helpfull and friendly people. That is the memory i will take away from Vietnam and not this incident.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do not think it wont happen to you.

Sorry to hear that,

I think your tour operator should have warned you and prepared you for some groundwork (snatching, crossing the street, acute diarrhea, etc and etc). I agree that it can happen anywhere and to anybody (just watched the series of Scam cities on the National Geographic, that is everywhere).

Matthew Duong

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do not think it wont happen to you.

Well apart the fact that gold should stay at home it is getting very bad in Saigon, too many reports of people targeted for anything valuable.

Ok, in central america they kill for a Rolex but in thailand the police will protect the tourists...

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do not think it wont happen to you.

Maurizi04 - Not sure where you got the info that in "...Thailand the police will protect the tourist"? Not true! You should read about all the scams, thefts and violence against tourists in Pattaya and Phuket! It is, so far, much worse in Thailand than in Vietnam!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do not think it wont happen to you.

Hi Maurizi04,

I agree that situation in saigon is a bit scary, it is a city of nearly 10 million people mate! better to protect yourself first before you can get help, and this is true in any cities in the world.