We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does touring Angkor Wat require a lot of walking

California
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Does touring Angkor Wat require a lot of walking

Hello everyone, I'm currently in HCMC and plan to visit Angkor Wat. The most time that I could spend in Cambodia is 3 nights, 4 days (fly out on Monday, return on Thursday). I did research on TripAdvisor and already sorted out a few things, but would like to ask for some advice from the veteran travelers.

1. Does touring Angkor Wat require a lot of walking? My mom is 73 years old and my youngest child is 8. I'm worry the walking might be too much for them.

2. Is there anything worth seeing in Phnom Penh that we should consider reducing our time in Angkor Wat? Beside having less time in Angkor Wat, the other negatives are increased airfare (e.g. arriving in PP, but fly out in Siem Reap), and/or lost time in transit (e.g. bus time between PP and SR)?

3. I plan to get the Cambodian eVisa, but not sure about the Viet Nam visa. My travel agent told me that my Viet Nam visa is single entry. But at the airport, the custom officer returned all of our visas. Does that mean that we could re-use those visas? If not, where in HCMC do I apply for the re-entry visa into Viet Nam? Does it take a long time to get the re-entry Visa?

4. My mom is a Viet Nam citizen. Per my research, she doesn't need a visa to enter Cambodia nor to return to Viet Nam, is that correct?

5. As a first time traveler, I think I need to sign up with a tour operator for the Angkor Wat visit. So far, I found Haivenu, but they are a little bit out of my budget. Would appreciate very much some recommendations. Per my research, I could hire a guide and a driver once I get there, but I'm worried that I might get an inexperience one and don't get to see all that worth seeing.

Many thanks in advance,

Andy

California
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Does touring Angkor Wat require a lot of walking

Sorry, forgot to add that my budget is around $100 USD for each room. I hope that's enough to get a room in a nice 4 stars hotel.

Andy

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,964 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Does touring Angkor Wat require a lot of walking

you will have no trouble getting lovely accommodation a budget like that Andy, but you'll have more luck getting answers to this and other questions if you post them on the Cambodia forum.

Make sure you organise one with a pool so your daughter has somewhere to cool down in the afternoon - nothing ruins a day like a hot cranky kid.

Golden Temple fits your bill perfectly but is very popular and books out quickly.

Geelong, Victoria...
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Does touring Angkor Wat require a lot of walking

hi there did you fly to siem reap from hcmc ??cost of flight and time in travel as i am going over and are doing the same as you lots of research on trip advisor ,as i havnt been over to these countries before,so whats the cost of the visa 's for cambodia and vietnam???IN AUST DOLLARS .

thanks marlene

hope your enjoying your trip

California
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Does touring Angkor Wat require a lot of walking

I read up on the Golden Temple hotel, and the reviews are great. I will try to see if I can get a room with them. If not I will also ask in the Cambodia forum. Thanks thmoore.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,367 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Does touring Angkor Wat require a lot of walking

Andy, if your mom is a VN citizen, you need to find out about Visa Exemption to VN (you also qualify as her child.)

My wife and I used an agency in Houston 3-1/2 years ago, so I don't remember the details.

mienthithucvk.mofa.gov.vn/Default.aspx…

viet.vietnamembassy.us/pdf/Consular%20Fee.pdf

If you do it yourself, it costs $20 according to that link, and the exemption certificate remains valid for 5 years,

Reissuing cost $10

California
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Does touring Angkor Wat require a lot of walking

@Marlene, it costs about $275 - $300 USD for a round trip ticket from HCMC to Siem Reap (please see here http://www.vietnamairlines.com).

The Cambodia visa is about $20 - $25 USD (http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa). As for the Vietnam visa I suggest that you get the multi entry visa (my guess is that it's somewhere around $100 USD). I regret that I got the single entry visa, because it's a hassle now because I have to get another Vietnam visa for returning to HCMC from Siem Reap. Sorry. I don't know the cost in AUSD.

Hope this helps. If you have any other question just ask. Have a good trip Marlene.

Andy

California
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Does touring Angkor Wat require a lot of walking

Thanks John, just saw your post. The links are very helpful. The process doesn't seem too bad, I will try to do it myself.

18. Re: Does touring Angkor Wat require a lot of walking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 03, 2014