We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tet 2014

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wirral
Level Contributor
726 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Tet 2014

I Have just realised that my Wife and I will be arriving in HCMC on the evening of the first day of Tet 2014!! Having just read a bit about Tet, and how Many Vietnamese Migrate back to there villages, and Lots of businesses close for the duration of Tet in HCMC. Could anyone please give any info regarding what Restaurants/Bars if any, will be open in the District 1 area. And also if Taxis will be available.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

bb

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tet 2014

Donot worry about that. Taxi is always available. You can go to Pham Ngu Lao str, many restaurants are open even the first day of Tet.

Wirral
Level Contributor
726 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tet 2014

Hi, and Thank you MadOnnalily,

Is Pham Ngu Lao str in District 1?? I was a bit concerned that we would struggle to find somewhere to eat and have a few drinks, we are aware that we may pay a few $$ more during this period, but that's fine, it happens the world over. Do you have any restaurants you could recommend??

Thanks again.

Regards

bb

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tet 2014

It is the local businesses that close up for 3-7 days.

Some of them want to wait for a "good" day to reopen.

(Based on astrology.)

There's no local shops for you to bargain in, but you can find restaurants to dine in. A few shops will reopen on the second day (more if the day is deemed to be exceptionally good in astrology.)

In the last few years, more and more eateries stay open and the Saigoneses like to eat out more, especially with family members visiting from abroad.

The Flower street of Nguyen Hue right there near the main drag should be good enough for you on the first night.

From what I read, last year, there were 65 flower festivals in Saigon and it's suburbs.

Some of the major establishments/hotels often organize dragon dances in front of their premises.

You don't have to worry about shortage of entertainment, that's for sure.

London, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tet 2014

Hello

Yes, Pham Ngu Lao street is in District 1.

This part of the city is the main tourist hub.

You should find plenty of places to eat even during.

Sorry but I don't have any recommendations to give you in regards to restaurants in that area.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tet 2014

Just a tiny reminder, The price of eating out (specially for street foods) will be expensive than the normal day. For both local and foreigner

Wirral
Level Contributor
726 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tet 2014

Thank you guy`s,

We feel more comfortable having had your replies!!

Cheers

bb

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tet 2014

Why dont you guy go to others towns to explore the Lunar Tet holiday? Vungtau city is a suggestion. Take u abt 2 and a half hour to get there by bus or 1 and a half by ferry. Its usually crowded on these days for its a beach city for tourism.

Wirral
Level Contributor
726 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tet 2014

Hi TrinhDinh,

Thanks for your input, We have already arranged an apartment in HCMC for the period of Tet, however on our return to HCMC from Cambodia, we may well look into that.

Many thanks.

Regards

bb

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tet 2014

We were in Saigon for TET 2010, until the fourth day of the New Year (my sister lives here.)

This may as well be the best time to visit the city when it's not super crowded (as a lot of transient workers go back home in the surrounding rural areas to spend time with their families.)

Saigon is still crowded, mind you, but not to the excessive.

We then took off for a week in Vung Tau where my wife still has many close relatives.

This is also a good time to be in Vung Tau; after TET, the locals and the tourists look to go to other destinations that are more "exotic".

A close friend of the family maintains a vacation here, a block from the Back beach, in the quieter area in the Northeast of the Peninsula. You can take all the leisure walks you want along the beach or you can ride a bike safely. There are two lanes in both directions, you don't even need to ride on the sidewalk.

I don't know where to rent a bike though; I always have a motorbike from different sources to take my wife around, even in Saigon.

Edited: 2:13 pm, June 24, 2013
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tet 2014

It is completely okay for you to travel to Vungtau for a few hours. You can take a ferry there in the morning and come back to Saigon at around 4pm. Remember to book your tickets first for both side. Vungtau is my hometown so I can show you around if its possible, honestly. Go enjoy the seaside as my suggestion. It would be nice to stay the 1st and 2nd day of Lunar Tet in Hcmc. But Im afraid you would feel bored.