We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Cyclos

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Cyclos

It must be nth post about cyclo scams but I couldn't help but share my recent experience. I was walking alone from New world hotel towards Re-unification palace when this guy approached me, I had a map in hand and a camera round my neck so it mustn't have been difficult for him to figure out that I am a tourist. He offered me a ride I politely said no, he asked where I am going, upon hearing the destination he said its 3km(originally 1.5km). He said he will offer a ride for 15, I asked is it 15,000? He nodded his head said something which I didn't understand clearly, I said i will go if its for 10,000 and showed him a 10,000 dong note from my pocket. He just side later, later and asked me to board his cyclo.

He than took to me too an empty street by the side of the palace and asked me to get down and pay him. When I offered him 10,000 Dong he said no and showed me a piece of printed paper mentioning 1,50,000 Dong. I said I will not pay a dong more than 15,000 which he initially asked. He started shouting saying either I pay him 150,000 or he will not take anything. I replied saying don't take & started walking towards the main street, he than shouted again asking for money, I said If u want u can take 15000. He then took the 15000 dong from I hand and I quickly walked to the main street.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Cyclos

Yes, we got the message.

It is useless to fix a price if they are never ever going to accept it at destination.

PLEASE, WALK.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,659 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Cyclos

^You did the right thing - do not pay.

Perth
Level Contributor
430 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Cyclos

Nothing has change with cyclo drivers since I was in Vietnam for my first visit (compliments of the Australian Government) in 1970. Would be believe they also had motorised cyclos in those days, thank god they are gone. But I well recall the problems then in using them as there were few taxis and countless cyclos.

However in a dispute I always come on on top - perhaps it was the pistol I carried strapped to a belt around my waist that was the deal breaker.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,766 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Cyclos

I can never understand all the baloney about writing down an agreed amount and sticking to it-

writing-shmiting- it will make no difference whatsoever- you will still have a fight on your hands on arrival. I agree with Maurizio.....Please Walk!

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of Cyclos

For what it's worth in my experience I say a firm NO thankyou and just kee[ walking and NEVER answer any of their questions they seem to then realise I am seriously not interested

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of Cyclos

Hi same story - almost identical scenario about a verbally agreed price of 15000 per pax for wife, daughter and me difference being they showed me a list of destinations but deliberately held a finger over the 150000 per pax price on the bottom of the page

At the end they tried to hit me up for 450000 and and kept showing me the page with 150000 per pax - unfortunately because I had three of them haranguing me and hot tired family I conceded $500000 and walked off,

Not pleasant but not the end of the world - however there is some karma because I later saw in the paper that the govt is getting rid of them on HCMC.

Saigon
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of Cyclos

You did a right thing. Don't pay just walk away and try to talk to local around they will help.

Cheers

8. Re: Beware of Cyclos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 26, 2014