We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi scam

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi scam

Well I got scammed today by a taxi driver. First off the fare on the meter was 4 times what is was when I went there then when I gave the driver the 200,000 dong he whipped back 20,000 stating that I messed up and gave him that rather than the 200,000. I have to say that his slight of hand was good. I knew what happened but at that point it was just easier to pay than argue. I should have listened to the hotel and stuck with Vinasun or Mailinh taxis. In the end it wasn't that much money, I paid about 15USD more than with the previous taxi, it's that I know better. I learned a lesson at least. Thank you, mr. Taxi driver, for teaching me an inexpensive lesson about scams when abroad.

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
554 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Taxi scam

when taking a cab, it is better to have several bills in your wallet so that you can give payment as close as the meter says. When my family went to the airport from district 1 just this 1st week of May, we had to take 2 vinasun taxis. my meter said less than 130K, while the taxi my wife rode in said 134K or something. I paid 150K and told the driver to keep the change. My wife gave 200K and the driver DID not give any change. My wife did not demand for the change anymore. There was no point scolding my wife for not demanding the change from the driver. So even if it is Mai Linh or Vinasun, it is still best to have lower bills, like the 20K, 50K, and 100K for flexibility.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Taxi scam

This "no change" attitude is very common in India, I know it well from the rikshaws and taxis over there, much worse than in Vietnam. Always insist to get change. If the driver has no small change (which is really unusual) he could easily change the money at the next shop. Always ask if the driver can change before giving him the money. Leaving without your change will encourage the drivers to pretend having no change always when dealing with tourists.

Again, it's not much money, but I would not accept this at home and I don't like to be treated like an idiot by taxi drivers abroad.

mplummer
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Taxi scam

Today I took a taxi from my Hanoi hotel to the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum, paid 90,000vnd including a tip. After walking back part of the way I got another back to my hotel. First I asked the driver 'how much?', he said 'meter - no problem'. At the end of the journey he demanded 700,000vnd. I said 'you mean 70,000' and gave him that. He got angry and loud and again demanded the 700,000. I tossed him another 10,000, got out and ran. Never but your bags in the boot/trunk!

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Taxi scam

Did you take a Vinasun taxi?

I guess not...

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Taxi scam

I suffered a different scam. I foolishly accepted a taxi ride from a tout at the bus station. After 2 minutes I realised that the meter was going too fast, whereas it should have only been 20,000 or 30,000 dong it was over 100,000. I stopped the taxi and paid up to avoid any hassle. I then and on all subsequent journeys took a Vinasun taxi and never had a problem, in HCM or in several other cities in Vietnam. Not a major problem but left a bad taste in the mouth and made me very wary for the rest of my trip in Vietnam.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Taxi scam

Everywhere I goes is trying to scam me.. Worst encounter I ever had in Asia and likely I will never come back again!

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Taxi scam

Reply to Gareth N

Sadly my experience in Vietnam was also the worst in Asia and they also have expensive visas. I too will probably never return there.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Taxi scam

One of the best places in Southeast Asia is Vietnam. However some people just struggle. ;)

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Taxi scam

Hehe, the people who don't struggle are the people who don't care/know that they're scammed :-)

Walked past a woman selling grilled corn on the cob tonight. She knows me. She's seen me every day for 5 months. I asked her how much for a corn. 10,000, she says, after about 3 seconds' hesitation.

I told her no thanks and went back to my own street where the woman there charges me the customary 5,000.

It is NOT the 25 cents. I can afford it. It's the principle. During daytime you can buy the same product for 2,500 (boiled, not grilled, though).

The average tourist, though, has no clue.

Edited: 8:47 am, April 06, 2014
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Taxi scam

It's always good to do some research before traveling a place one has no clue about.

John