We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Used

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mandaluyong...
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Currency Used

We are in HCMC next month. Just wondering, what currency should we use when shopping in Saigon square or Ben Than?

Our hotel, Cu Chi and mekong tours all quoted in US$. Since we will be bringing more US$ I find this easy but how about in the shopping centers?

Also, say we are in CU Chi or Mekong tour already, we want to buy in groceries or some souvenirs. What Currency to use please.

Mandaluyong...
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Currency Used

alright guys, if we can buy VND here before leaving why not. I think the rates difference is very small. i'll keep in mind to pay VND in the hotel. the US$ quotation the hotel gave me is simply just a reference. I might also ask the hotel the equivalent rates in VND for the $ quotation they gave me.

do you guys also have any idea if there are money changers or ATMs nearby at the Mekong Express bus station? we will be coming from Siem reap that day. Im not sure where they drop off passengers from Siem Reap. I emailed Mekong Express and told me that they also drop passengers near Ben Than Market which is much nearer to our hotel. At least we can just walk from there to the hotel at the back of Ben Than....

thanks

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Currency Used

The Mekong Express drops passengers around 264 or 274 (I forget) Pham Ngu Lao, in the middle of the backpack area of HCMC. Lots of places to exchange money. Of course the Ben Thanh market is even closer to all the gold stores where you can get cash for dollars. Or Euros.

In any case the distance from the Mekong Express office to the market is less than a km.

Mandaluyong...
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Currency Used

thanks a lot Jim B and others..... excited on our Siem Reap and HCMC trip next month..... good day

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Currency Used

---------------------------------

According to Nguyen Hoang Minh, deputy director of the State Bank of Vietnam in Ho Chi Minh City, except for credit institutions, customs agencies, and at airports, no transactions, price listings, and advertisements by local residents and non-residents are to be conducted in foreign currencies.

Before they can list prices in foreign currencies, businesses must first seek the approval of the State Bank’s governor by proving the listing is reasonable and necessary. To date, no such special permission has ever been reportedly granted.

--------------------------------------

That is VERY interesting and it means that if hotels use illegally USD knowing the risks they do it to overcharge people, like when I come first time in Vietnam. Now the bank exchange rate is very stable, today 20,915/20,965 so any honest place will use 21.000. But two years ago there was a devaluation of the Dong and gold shops were paying more than banks so the small hotel I was staying (Blue River Hotel, 283/2C Pham Ngu Lao Street) insisted on charging me 1000dong more for every USD. Avoid the place, nothing nice there and in that alley, and always ask for the price in Dong.

25. Re: Currency Used

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, May 13, 2014