We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorcycling Hai Van Pass

Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
11 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Motorcycling Hai Van Pass

Since I accidentally saw the Top Gear Vietnam Special TV show I fancy driving the Hai Van Pass by a Minsk motorcycle or a scooter. Are the streets really as deserted as shown? Is it dangerous to drive a motorbike in this area? Can you do the trip alone or is it better to do an organized tour?

Vietnamrider Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Motorcycle Tours
Vietnamdreams Travel Service
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Multi-day Tours
Vietnam Travel Landscape - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,851 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motorcycling Hai Van Pass

Please read the sticky at the top of the forum on driving and motorcycling in Viet Nam. Essentially, it is illegal for foreigners without VN drivers' licences to drive or pilot motorcycles in Viet Nam. The streets are not deserted at all and are quite dangerous, especially if you are unfamiliar with traffic there.

What many fail to realise is that Top Gear produced their show with a huge support team and that it is very unlikely the trip was entirely as portrayed.

Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
11 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motorcycling Hai Van Pass

Thank you for your advice, YorkFoodie. I'll think it over, I already suspected a fly in the ointment!

jacksonville
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motorcycling Hai Van Pass

Tom,

Gp to YouTube and enter.... Traffic in Siagon

It is not recommended for you to do it.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
109 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motorcycling Hai Van Pass

1. Hai Van pass is very dangerous for Amateur Motor Biker but most Vietnamese have no problem with it.

2.Scooter ( Nouvo, Airblade) are good, do not try Vespa or Atila or some others has small wheel diameter. Minks is too old and not meet high standard of safety in comparing with new bike in Vietnam. It's used for photo, making films,.. haha. Just use a new Honda or Yamaha motorbike (Wave 125, Jupiter, Exciter,...)

3. If you like Hai Van pass, you can rent Xe Om (private mortor bike + driver) or Hai Van tour, the total pay should upto 3-500.000 VND/pax ~ 15-25$ From Hue to Da Nang.

It is a beautiful pass that you'll never forget.

5. Re: Motorcycling Hai Van Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, October 25, 2013
Connecticut
Level Contributor
213 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Motorcycling Hai Van Pass

I saw foreigners doing this trip and they were having a great time!

Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
11 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Motorcycling Hai Van Pass

I made this trip on a Minsk with an experienced guide (of Hoi An Motorbike Adventures) some days ago and it was fantastic and I felt safe. Under such good and diligent guidance everybody with a little bit of motorbike experience will feel comfortable and will enjoy it. If you are inexperienced ride on the pillion. I don't recommend to do the tour on your own.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
213 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Motorcycling Hai Van Pass

That's awesome!!

What a ride!!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motorcycling Hai Van Pass

Personally, I think the roads in Vietnam are far too dangerous for foreigners to drive alone. There are thousands of accidents annually and the laws have also recently tightened in terms of what documentation foreigners need (definitely worth Googling this to save any unnecessary police bribes during your trip).

I'd advice against doing this, but if you want to try the experience then just make sure you're fully equipt documentation and safety wise.

http://cokerri.wordpress.com

10. Re: Motorcycling Hai Van Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 31, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Ho Chi Minh City