We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

market prices

adelaide
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
market prices

hi everyone,

im going to vietnam in feb/march and was just wondering if someone could please give me a a list of what things approximately cost in the markets as ive never been before? clothes, sunglasses, jewellery, handbags ect.

we are visiting HCMC, phu quoc and nha trang

thank you! :)

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: market prices

Yes, chinatown...but still need hard bargain, because you are a tourist.

I really don't want to buy anything when travel, cost to much time.

Bulli, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: market prices

So is Chinatown the best place to buy typical Asian market merchandise , like copy , T-shirts, CDs , Swim wear etc...?

Saigon, Vietnam
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: market prices

Hi,

Here are some places you can go for shopping

Taka Plaza & Saigon Square in Nam Ky Khoi Nghia street, district 1

An Dong plaza, An Dong market & Binh Tay market in Chinatown

Ben Thanh market, district 1

Bulli, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: market prices

great thanks

Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: market prices

I have just came back and it was a bit daunting at the start as the people yelling madam , and touching you , but on our 2 time back in as many days it was fine just say com mon , as no thanks .. Always be prepared to say your lowest price as ray bans and Oakley sunnies 100k dong $5 and don't pay any more unless you find some originals . Then I payed $400k dong $20a pair but I only brought 1pair . I also brought vans runners beware for the cheap ones $250 k dong .If you go to chi chi tunnels they will take you to a place where art is made its very interesting but way over priced you can purchase that stuff for a fraction of the price in the markets . The cyclos will rip you off its 40k dong for half an hour and don't let them charge you more . If you leave a tip they say it should be enough for a coffee so 5000 blue paper note is enough . And always use vinasun taxis the rest will rip you off . At the airport they will pray on westerners . They will say 25dollars us to take u to town it should cost u 160k max dong so $8 to the heart off the city . I hope this Is helpful

Bulli, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: market prices

Thanks Jodiet, That is very helpful.

Sounds like it may take some work - I was in Thailand and Indonesia last year and shopping was somewhat exhausting. I was always looking over my shoulder to make sure I was not being ripped off !

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: market prices

#16 you are always ripped off...

Example, in Thailand they sell standard glasses for RayBan, good for the trash...

But they are the best at fake Rolex, even I really don't know why anyone would buy one...

In Vietnam some of the RayBan are a perfect replica, lens apart so if you just want sun glasses will you go around with lenses that could crack and damage your eye?

Polo shirt are ok, but not really cheap....

Perth
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: market prices

My friend got tee shirts from a "fixed price shop" in Ben Tanh Market for just over 50,000 dong. Ok, you can get cheaper, but they were far better quality than we got anywhere else. Watch for "100% cotton" which is not, I bought a "cotton" teeshirt which is so full of polyester that it is very sweaty to wear. No consumer protection acts in VietNam!

19. Re: market prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 30, 2014