We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Busses Saigon - Phnom Penh

Sweden
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Busses Saigon - Phnom Penh

Which is the best bus-company to go with from Saigon/HCMC to Phnom Penh? I heard that some of the bus-trips are really hard - changing buses, wainting at the border, fully loaded buses...

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Busses Saigon - Phnom Penh

There is a Cambodian bus -- three a day, leaving at 6 a.m., 8 a.m., and ???, which costs a bit more than the others but dispenses with the need to change buses at the border .... all you do is get off at the entrance to the customs building, have your passport stamped (meanwhile the bus drives through to the exit), and then reboard. You may have to take your bags with you... that I can't remember, as we always travel so light that we hardly notice if we're carrying anything or not. But the whole process took about fifteen minutes, and then you're on your way again.

We found out about this bus quite by accident, but since we had such a limited time in Phnom Penh, we were so glad we did, as it arrived at lunch time (the daily Vietnamese buses apparently arrive between 4:30 and 5:30, by which time we had found our PP hotel, seen the palace grounds, and visited the Tuol Sleng Museum) and our expected half-day stay turned into twenty-four hours. I think the ticket was $10, whereas the other buses are $6 or $7, depending on who you buy from.

The Cambodian bus is yellow, and leaves from Pham Ngu Lao, but on the "park" side of the road about 200 metres down from the main corner where all the Sinh Cafes etc are. There is a travel agent on Pham Ngu Lao directly opposite where it departs, and if you look at the signs, it will tell you that this travel agent handles the Cambodian bus to Phnom Penh.

Sorry I can't come up with the name! I think it's written in Cambodian, anyway!

Sweden
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Busses Saigon - Phnom Penh

AlanJ-el!

Thanks so much for that info.