We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi meter cheats

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Taxi meter cheats

Erratum: Yes I was cheated. Really had bad experience. VND 15 000 was the starting fare. Meter showed 990,000 when it reached a street to the hotel. Driver wanted US$60 and we did not have much money with us. He did not want to move the taxi to our hotel for us to get the money ( and for us to inform hotel pple). He locked us in his taxi. In the end, we had to take out cash hidden in our pouches).

To all travellers, look out for taxis that have tinted windows. In the night, pple along the streets cannot look in to see what's happening inside the taxi.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi meter cheats

I think most taxi drivers in HCMC are honest and hard working but there are definitely a few bad apples who try to take advantage of tourists. My wife and I encountered one of these during my fourth visit to VN. I noticed that the meter seemed to be moving awfully fast. I realized that every time the driver moved the steering wheel the meter would move 3 increments. My VN wife complained in Vietnamese but the driver threatened to let us out in the middle of traffic and drive off with our bags. We ended up paying 5 times the normal fare to our destination. As I have read in these forums many times, it is a good idea to negotiate a fare in advance.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi meter cheats

We were cheated by a taxi outside the Water Puppet Theatre in Hanoi. It wa sonly our first night in VN so I wasn't yet used to the taxi meters. Somehow from the theatre to our restaurant, the meter read the equivalent of $12. We handed it over at the time and were in the restaurant before we realised that we weren't in a Dublin taxi so it shouldn't have cost so much.

After that we walked a short distance from the attractions before hailing a taxi.

Newcastle Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi meter cheats

Yes I think we too where jibed in Hanoi.

We caught the over night train in and got a taxi from the station, we told him the hotel we wanted him to take us to, so we could have a look at rooms, but he was driving in circles and looking at the map a lot, as though he could not find the hotel, a motor bike came along side us and say” me have nice new hotel just up ahead” so we decide to follow, but it was to far away from where we wanted to stay, so we tell taxi driver to go back and then as we got back we had another motor bike along side telling us he has nice new hotel, we ask him how far, he say” just up hear,” we tell him we want to stay in this area and he say ”is just up hear promise”, “you look” So we went and looked and it was great not far from every thing and very friendly people so it worked out in the end for us, but taxi fare was dearer than it should have been.

While on Ha Long Bay, we are talking to others that have had this same thing happen to them, so it is a scam.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi meter cheats

Try to arrange for your hotel to pick you up.

If you feel you have been cheated by a taxi driver, write down the license plate # and report it to authorites/tourist police/police, etc.