We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How quick a turnaround at HCM airport?

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How quick a turnaround at HCM airport?

Our internal flight from Phu Quoc has been put back an hour by Vietnam Airlines..

Our flight get into HCM from Phu Quoc at 9.35am, and our international flight to Hong Kong leaves at 11.30am, meaning we have 1hr 55mins to unload our bags, make the transfer and recheck in etc. Clearly this is based on our flights (hopefully!) taking off on time.

Has anyone done a domestic to international flight transfer at HCM?Can it be done pretty quickly?

Thanks in advance.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How quick a turnaround at HCM airport?

Its a 3 minute walk to the International terminal and the airport staff are very helpful. You should be fine.

Mark

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,463 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How quick a turnaround at HCM airport?

As you say if the flight leaves on time. While it is a couple of minutes walk from one terminal to the other, if you have checked in bags, there will be a 20/30 min wait before they appear (always assuming they remember to load them on to the aircraft - been there). Most desks close 45/30 mins prior to departure so in theory you should be fine. Not that I like going domestic straight on to an international flight anyway.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,967 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How quick a turnaround at HCM airport?

If your international flight is your homeward flight I would seriously look at what it will cost you if you miss that flight to what it will cost you to change your Phu Quoc flight and leave the island a day earlier spending a night in HCMC with no stress of whether you will make the transfer or not. Sometimes travel stress can ruin a good holiday at the end of a lovely visit.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How quick a turnaround at HCM airport?

Hmmmmmm pretty daring to count on Viet Airlines to make a connecting International flight. :D I'd change it - too close for comfort for me. Viet Airlines just sent me a change of flight from 1430 to 1855. :o

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How quick a turnaround at HCM airport?

Hmmmmmmmm......It is hard to give an advice in this case,the internal flight from Phu quoc to HCM normally depart on time,and just 3 minutes walk from domestic to international,if everything is fine,you have time..gluck

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,556 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How quick a turnaround at HCM airport?

Is your Hong Kong flight with Vietnam Airlines ? If so will your luggage be through booked ? This would make it quite feasible.

Cheers Ross

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How quick a turnaround at HCM airport?

Many thanks all for feedback - much appreciated.

Ross - afraid onward leg is flying with Cathy Pacific not Vietnam Airlines,

With my Hong Kong flight I'm due to spend 3 night in Hong Kong, before flying back to London... but have just spoken to Flight Centre (who I booked my flights with). They said timing from Phu Quoc transfer should be fine, but warned if I were to miss the HCM to Hong Kong flight I would be put down as a 'no show' and the airline would automatically also cancel my onward journey 3 days later from Hong Kong back to London.

Starting to feel like an expensive risk to have to rebuy all my international flights!

Think I'm going to have to fly back from Phu Quoc to HCM the night before just to be safe. Shame, as I wanted to avoid re-doing airport time, and maximise time in Phu Quoc - but feels a bit too risky.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,967 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How quick a turnaround at HCM airport?

I think you have made the best choice because the ramifications of missing that flight are too great. What is your budget range for a hotel in HCMC?

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,463 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How quick a turnaround at HCM airport?

Ross, I'd be surprised to learn if any baggage loaded at Phu Quoc is checked on through. Simply because they are not in containers but just thrown piece meal off the back of a truck straight into the open door of the aircraft.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How quick a turnaround at HCM airport?

Good decision - last thing you need to do is stress about an international flight connection.