We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpacker Area

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Backpacker Area

Is there much to see and do around the backpackers area, shopping food etc?

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Backpacker Area

Google Maps.

De Tham - Bui Vien is in the heart of it

http://goo.gl/maps/kfZbY <<<CLICK

Taxi should know where it is

Edited: 10:21 pm, October 02, 2012
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Backpacker Area

The backpacker area is known as Pham Ngu Lao Street which is a long street alongside the 23/9 Park on the way east to Ben Thanh Market,(overated but good to be able to say you've been there) The block Pham Ngu Lao, De Tham and Bui Vien has a lot of hotels all of which are good some better than others. No Pools here so it boils down to what you are after as you can get a room for $15 which will have no window and no elevator up to 3 Star. As I go to HCMC on business and need a bit of space I choose Elios for around $48 and even though I dont get a window (I prefer the quiet) its great value for the position, breakfast and the staff.

If you just want to roll up then ask the taxi, or better still write down Pham Ngu Lao street and give it to the driver. Be sure to only get Mai Linh taxis if you cant get a voucher as the others will lead you on a merry dance. Cost to District 1 (backpacker area) should be around 150,000 dong. Get your dong from the ATM at the airport or from the ATM near Allezboo bar.

Cheers Ross

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Backpacker Area

You mentioned bike rentals. http://rent2bike.com should be a great resource for backpackers in the United States or UK. But availability depends on where you're going to backpack.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
19 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Backpacker Area

We are staying at the beautiful 3 hotel..for $45 you get superior room with brekky. You can arrange thru them for an airport pickup if that is any help to you. Check the hotel out on Tripadvisor..all good reports.

11 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Backpacker Area

You should visit the area. Your trip to Saigon won't complete if you don't, to be honest. Yes of course, some scammers or hookers would approach you, but isn't any tourist area like that? There are always pros and cons. But if you don't get bothered by them, you sure will have fun. Cheap hotels, restaurants, bars, shops, and specially friendly people :) ( the area is like a small melting pot)

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Backpacker Area

tina, most developed and emergeing tourism economies all over the world do not have the extent of scamming, cheating, and touting that VN has. It seems that there is no intent by the VN Government whether local or national, to take measures to stamp out these bad practices, much to the detriment to this lovely country.

Ross

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
438 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Backpacker Area

As my thought, Pham Ngu Lao str is best backpacker area in HCm

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Backpacker Area

bowenarrow - would you suggest avoiding the backpackers area? I'm going during new years eve with two other girls and I'm a tad concerned for safety if anything at this time of year.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Backpacker Area

The Backpackers area, Dogosaur, is probably safer than Perth or Freo on News Years Eve.

All you have to do as in any other place, is be aware of your surroundings and treat anything too good to be true to be just that.

Cheers Ross

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Backpacker Area

Thanks Ross! Perth can be pretty rowdy nowadays so I'm relieved to hear the comparison.