We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local SIM cards

Perth, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
Local SIM cards

Hi, is it possible to buy pre-paid SIM cards (micro) while at the HCM Airport?

It's just one thing i want to get hold off asap upon arrival.

Cheers,

John

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
65 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local SIM cards

Hi John

i didn see any shops selling SIM cards at the airport. i wanted to get 1 upon arrival too but ended up getting from my hotel instead

Perth, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Local SIM cards

Cool thanks for that.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
158 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local SIM cards

The best way is to get a simcard in the city nearby your hotel. If you have any problem with simcard, they will check it out for you. In Vietnam, there are 3 big mobile service is Vietel, Mobifone, Vinafone. In Ho Chi Minh, they use a lot of Mobifone service.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,744 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local SIM cards

If you are arriving during 'normal' hours (about 8am to 8pm) there is a stand over to your right as you exit the building that sells sim cards. If they haven't got a micro sim, they will probably be able to cut a normal sim to size (as a lot of places in Vietnam do). I bought a sim there and they even topped up my phone for me at the same time. Price wise there wasn't much difference between what I paid there and in the city centre. Maybe a few cents at best.

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Local SIM cards

Latest price updates - In Bui Vien, near Pham Ngu Lao, I bought a microsim with 110,000Dong. Comes with 130,000Dong value which is separated into data/calls/message values. Not sure if interchangeable.

I use 3G for google map to track where to go, lots of text with fellow friends and minimum phone calls, lasted 5 days with ocasiOnal Skype/Watsapp

Kiama
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local SIM cards

Have you have been receiving small ad messages on your cell phone in Vietnam? These are not SMS, but just adverts appearing from nowhere, and of course, they appeared so often that your phone ran out of battery much faster, and sometimes even crashed.

Here is how to disable them:

For NOKIA users:

Menu > SuperSim > LiveInfo > Bat/Tat D.vu

Here choose:

Bat (=Turn on)

Tat (= Turn off)

Livego (= Livego)

For iPhone users:

Settings > Phone > SIM Applications > LiveInfo > Bat/Tat D.vu

Here choose:

Bat (=Turn on)

Tat (= Turn off)

Livego (= Livego)

Hope this may help.

Kiama
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local SIM cards

Have you have been receiving small ad messages on your cell phone in Vietnam? These are not SMS, but just adverts appearing from nowhere, and of course, they appeared so often that your phone ran out of battery much faster, and sometimes even crashed.

Here is how to disable them:

For NOKIA users:

Menu > SuperSim > LiveInfo > Bat/Tat D.vu

Here choose:

Bat (=Turn on)

Tat (= Turn off)

Livego (= Livego)

For iPhone users:

Settings > Phone > SIM Applications > LiveInfo > Bat/Tat D.vu

Here choose:

Bat (=Turn on)

Tat (= Turn off)

Livego (= Livego)

Hope this may help.

Edited: 7:48 am, October 01, 2012
8. Re: Local SIM cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, December 13, 2013