We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Ha Long Bay cruise

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Booking Ha Long Bay cruise

Hello,

I will be arriving in HCMC on Sept 4th for my honeymoon.

We depart HCMC on the 7th and are flying to Hanoi where we will stay until the 12th. (Flight and accomodation booked)

During our stay in Hanoi we will be looking to do a 2D1N cruise in Ha Long. I was wondering if it would be best to book this in HCMC so I'm not running around when I get to Hanoi trying to get it sorted. If so, can anyone suggest a travel agent for this?

Alternatively, would it be better to book over the internet before I even get to Vietnam?

Thank You

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Ha Long Bay cruise

Book direct online whilst you are home and have plenty of time as there are a few doubtful operators. Book direct with the cruise company and not through agents or hotels despite what you may be told. If you search for a cruise by using the search facility you will get recommendations from actual travellers, but there will be some touts you will have to sort out. Dont hesitate to ask questions and regulars will set you straight.

Cheers Ross

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Ha Long Bay cruise

Most people here would recommend booking direct with the cruise company that owns the junk you want. If you haven't decided on a junk yet, you can search the Halong Bay forums for recommendations. Just be aware that in Halong Bay you get what you pay for, and going budget isn't a good idea. Especially if it's your honeymoon. There are quite a few horror stories on here from people who thought they booked a particular boat through their hotel, only to get to Halong Bay and find they had been shunted onto another inferior vessel. Hotels get varying commissions from the tour companies and will often try to place you on the boat that gives them the best kick-back.

Check out posts by Tecalli. She has extensive experience in the area and recommends good boats.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Ha Long Bay cruise

Snap Ross!

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Ha Long Bay cruise

Forgive me Ross and westendgaz, but I have to disagree with your warning not to book through hotels (4-5* hotels excepted as they certainly do tend to charge over the odds).

Over the years I've come to know a large number of people in an equally large number of hotels in Hanoi (not just those where I've stayed), and all provide a damn good booking service at the same rates as those charged by the junk companies.

Moreover all of them offer a variety of junks in all price ranges - up to 12 different companies at the last count, including the junks recommended on this forum.

Unfortunately in the last 10 months or so the same handful of junks have been recommended over and over again by the same handful of people, in marked contrast to previous years on the forum when recommendations were much broader in range. Regrettably that reflects the fact that these days far fewer people return to the forum to report their experiences after their holidays.

Yes, the oft-recommended Bhaya and Indochina junks are good, but so are a lot of the many others that ply the bay. For example this year I was on the mid-range Opera junk (owned by A Class Cruises) and I couldn't fault it at all.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
734 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Ha Long Bay cruise

you should search some cruises in Ha long bay forums then book online with the cruise company wherever you are. But I have recommendation for you with 5* cruise are Au co ship, Bhaya cruise, 3* cruises are Golden lotus or Alova gold cruise, red dragon junk ( 4 cruises).

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Ha Long Bay cruise

Thanks all for helpful information! I am trying to find the official website of Pelican cruise, is there anyone here knows its website?

Sendai, Japan
Level Contributor
16 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking Ha Long Bay cruise

We decided to wait until getting to Hanoi...and then ended up booking online anyway! If you will be on your honeymoon, you should book ahead of time to ensure you get a good cruise. We waited too late and couldn't get on the cruise we wanted. We booked with Darian Culbert (http://darianculbert.com/) and were very happy with him. We found his prices to be the best out there and it was good to communicate with a real person about our questions and concerns.

If you take a 3D/2N cruise, make sure you find out in advanced if you will have to change to a different boat for part of the trip. And if so, find out the conditions of the other boat and ask for pictures.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking Ha Long Bay cruise

Yes You can also book over internet before you arrive. My bf did that last year without any problem, we had 2days 1night tour on Red Dragon Junk, it was an excellent experience.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking Ha Long Bay cruise

We are staying in Hanoi but we made all bookings through the Internet and very quick! No problem or hassle at all!

10. Re: Booking Ha Long Bay cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 am, October 03, 2012