We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is th shopping like in Vietnam

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
What is th shopping like in Vietnam

I am wondering what the shopping is like in Vietnam besides having clothes/suits taylor made.

Alexandra Vic...
Level Contributor
394 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is th shopping like in Vietnam

It depends what you are after, I thought electronics i.e iPads , cameras etc were expensive, you can buy knock off north face gear etc cheap, we also bought some paintings etc which were a good price and most people who have seen them say they are nice.Food is cheap and delightful , beer is also cheap. Happy travels

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is th shopping like in Vietnam

Hey 101,

The Mrs is an avid shopper and she scoops up everything from bed linen to homeware as well as the mandatory clothing. It really depends on where you are going??

Mark

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is th shopping like in Vietnam

Great laquer goods and wood products. :)

USA
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What is th shopping like in Vietnam

In general, don't believe anyone who tells you that only counterfeit Western products are in Vietnam. They haven't been in Vietnam long enough to know. If you want all sort of GENUINE Western products, then the new Crescent Mall in District 7 in HCMC at:

the-crescent.com/en/…13-fashion

They have genuine GAP, Diesel, Van Shoes, etc. Complete directory on their website above.

You can also find all sort of genuine Western products at Parkson Shopping Malls at several locations in the city. You'll find info and locations at :

http://www.parkson.com.vn/

At Tax Department Store close Caravelle Hotel, they sell genuine jewelries, perfume, shoes, gifts, etc. If you want genuine Gucci products, they have a store in Ho Chi Minh City at:

88 Dong Khoi Street, District 1

HO CHI MINH

Phone: 848 827 6688

There are also a large number of genuine Vietnamese products throughout the city including home goods and decor, art, books, toys, handicrafts, and electronics. They are located in boutique stores around the neighborhood of the Opera House. For genuine Western electronics like Dell, Apple, HP, Brother, Canon, you can get them at Nguyen Kim in HCMC. They will even deliver it to your hotel. Here is their website:

http://www.nguyenkim.com/

Happy shopping.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is th shopping like in Vietnam

As Long says, the real deal is available in Vietnam. I live in Hanoi so can't speak much about HCMC other than my very brief visits. While the real deal is available, why in the world would you come to Vietnam to buy it? Import taxes are high and products are so much more expensive in Vietnam. Last winter I ran out of the regular Clinique compact I use and went to Parkson to replace it. I usually pay about $35-$40 for it in the U.S. In Hanoi, the price was $85 AND they wanted an additional $20 for the case that comes with it for free in the U.S. Needless to say I walked out without making the purchase.

Also be careful because what you think may be the real deal may not be. A friend of a friend went to the Longchamps store attached to the Metropole and purchased a bag paying the real deal price. When she was in Hong Kong there was a problem with it and she took it into the Longchamps shop there only to be told she had purchased a fake bag not the real thing.

Shopping is good in Vietnam for local products (paintings, embroidery) and handicrafts (lacquer, weavings). For handicrafts a great shop in Hanoi is the non-profit Craftlink where profits get channeled back to local communities. Clothes are also a good deal, including the genuine products from designers that base themselves in Vietnam (e.g., the Spanish team of Chula, or Ipa-Nima). Shopping for foreign products that are the real deal is a very bad idea.

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is th shopping like in Vietnam

Wow thanks for the quick response. After items that are genuine and was thinking that since most products are either made in Vietnam/Asian countries you should be able to pick up bargains.

Always like a piece of artwork to take home from each country we visit for a trip down memory lane later.

Looking at spending 3 nights/2 days by the time we arrive in HCMC and 5 nights in Hoi An. So HCMC will be busy as we are doing a day trip on Mekong Delta and then the tunnels next day.

What time do shops etc close at night. I gather they wouldn't open to late in the morning.

USA
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What is th shopping like in Vietnam

It's funny you said that because a lot of items from IKEA is made in Vietnam, but you cannot find it anywhere any where in Vietnam! Not even a futon! (The rumor is that you can get genuine IKEA product in 2014 when they will open their first store in HCMC).

As the previous poster said, there is usually some import tax into Vietnam that these companies have to pay, so the price will be much higher than elsewhere.

Some people come to Vietnam to shop Western products because the prices of these products are not available in their or country or it's even higher.

I agree that it's best to shop local items in Vietnam because they are inexpensive and quite unique especially art, handicrafts, and home decor.

You can contact XO Tours (http://xotours.vn/) for their shopping spree tour ($35 for 3 hours). Maybe you can tell them what you're looking for and they will take you around town.

There's really no set hours when stores in Vietnam close. I think the malls closes 10 pm or 11 pm at night. Most boutique stores will start to close at 9 pm. The good news is that they open early with some as early as 8 am and the rest starting around 9 am.

Edited: 7:57 pm, June 10, 2012
USA
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What is th shopping like in Vietnam

I apologize for my spelling and grammar above. I'm typing on my Android tablet with my large fingers on a small screen and the delete and backspace buttons are confusing.

Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What is th shopping like in Vietnam

Canvas Paintings are beautiful in Vietnam, an exceptional buy, and easy to ship home in a tube. Most of the vendors in Da Nang and Hoi An will remove it from the display frame and custom cut a piece of PVC pipe to fit. It generally costs about $50USD to ship to US using Fedex for an average size tube (about 1 M long), although DHL and EMS are similar in price. Most airlines will allow you to carry an "artwork" tube on the airplane. but check with your airline fist.

Traditional Lacquer paintings are also widely available in Hoi An and Da Nang (but much cheaper in Da Nang): Examples: http://www.asia-art.net/vietnam_lacquer.html . Lacquer painting of course can't be rolled up and shipped, but will lay flat in a suitcase. Most of the medium sizes are about 6-8 kilos for a set of four.

Edited: 8:28 pm, June 10, 2012
New South Wales...
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is th shopping like in Vietnam

Answered my own question re shop times 10am to10pm plenty of Imelda to do thing during day and shop in the evening