We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh

Gold Coast, QLD...
Level Contributor
16 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh

Hi could someone please tell me the best way to travel form Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh. I have heard there are tours where you stay 1 night in a floating hotel? Takes 2 days apparently? If anyone could tell me good experiences, names of tour companies? Should we book this before we leave Australia or when we arrive in Vietnam? We will be arriving on 5th April, is this peak season?

Saigon
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh

You can do 02D/01 N tour and overnight at the border town of Chau Doc then the next day taking express boat 04 hrs to Phnompenh. Visa for Cambodia can be obtained right at the checkpoint.

Victoria resort is the best one in this little town and they also offer speedboat for their in house guests.

Mid-range will be Chau Pho hotel/ haiChau and you can book speedboat with HangChau. is is good and reasonable price.

April will be really hot here and not a peak tour season then you can book when you get here

Cheers

HCMC
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh

Dear MandyMoo85

The cheapest way is you will take Sapaco Bus at 325 Pham Ngu Lao street. The bus leaves HCMC at 06:00 am, 07:00 am, 08:00 am, 09:00 am, 10:00 am, 11:30 am, 12:30 and 14:00. It takes you 6 hours to reach PP from HCMC

It costs only 200.0000 VND for one ticket

Or you will book private tour from Saigon to Cai Be for one day. You will leave hotel at 06:30 am for Cai Be. Upon your arrival , you will take boat trip to se Cai Be floating market, mainland market , Phu Chau pagoda, take sampan ride along lovely canal and visit the local garden family house for lunch. After lunch you will have 2 options

+ to save your money, you will ask your tour guide to send you to Phuong Trang bus Rest Stop at Cai Be and you will take bus to Chau Doc to stay

overnight. You will book your ticket Saigon- Chau Doc with pick up at Cai Be. It costs only 125.000 VND for one tickets. The bus leaves Saigon every 2 hours at 06:45 , 08:45, 10:45, 12:45, 14:45. So you will book the bus 12:45 with a pick up at Cai Be around 14:45 to go to Chau Doc. This is the phone number in HCMC to book your seats : 08 38 309 390

+ or you will hire private car to go from Cai Be to Chau Doc, in the other word, you will keep you car from Saigon to Cai Be to Chau Doc

Upon your arrival to Chau Doc, if you take Phuong Trang bus, the shuttle bus will take you straight to your hotel free of charge or if you take private car transfer, the car driver will send you to your hotel in Chau Doc

I recommend you staying at the Hai Chau hotel. It costs from 18 USD to 28 USD for one room for 2 guests. The hotel has the best location, close to Chau Doc market, Bay Bong best local restaurant and Hang Chau express boat. You will walk along Chau Doc riverfront park, go to Victoria bar for drinks or go to Chau Doc Pier Cafe , the local Cafe next to Victoria hotel for drinks

You will book Hang Chau express boat tickets in advance

The next day, Hang Chau express boat staff will pick up you at the hotel at 07:00 am and send you to the boat station to catch your 07:30 am speed boat to PP. You will pay 24 USD when collecting your tickets . You will arrive PP around noon time

Have a great trip to Chau Doc

Best regards

Jason SSS

HCMC
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh

So sorry for wrong-typing

Phuong Trang ticketing booking number : 08 38 309 309

125.000 VND for one ticket ( Sapaco Bus ) and 24 USD for one ticket ( Hang Chau express boat )

Jason SSS

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh

Hi,

There are a few ways to go from Ho chi minh city to PP. It depends on how much time you have.

The fastest way is by road from Saigon and cross Moc bai frontier gate to PP about 6 hours.

The second way is to drive down to Chau Doc in Mekong delta then take the speed boat from Chau Doc to PP which takes about 4 hours From Chau Doc to PP and the Hang Chau speed boat start at 7 am everyday.Or other higher end speed boat company such as: Blue cruise or Victoria

You can also drive to Ha tien and cross the boder from there

The nicest option is cruise on the mekong river for a night or more if you have time and combine with some driving then end in Chau Doc where you can take the speed boat to PP.

Cheers,

Nhung

So, it all depends on how much time you have and your budget.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh

We went with the sinh tourist it's a budget tour agency but we enjoyed the tour, if you want a more upmarket tour then check out Waterbuffalo tours they also get good reviews here.

Gold Coast, QLD...
Level Contributor
16 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh

Thanks for the info, we are looking for the cheapest way really. We don't mind it if takes 2 days & we get to stop in at other towns/villages on the way. What is your honest opinion on cheapest but safest option?

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
235 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh

As you can see there are many ways/ options. The cheapest being the bus but you only stop for a snack and don't see to much. If you have a few days in HCMC best to book it from there and see what is available from the many tour companies. pretty easy to arrange.

8. Re: Travelling Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 am, December 10, 2014
swansea
Level Contributor
9 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh

Hi

Ive looked at the sinh tourist offer..can you tell me how you managed with your luggage doing this trip to pp

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh

I took the Mekong Express bus from HCMC to PP. The guys at my guest house/hotel organised the ticket for me. The bus company sent a guy to collect me and take me to the bus.

On that trip I also travelled in buses from other companies to Sihanoukville, Siem Reap etc and Mekong Express was by far the best. I also say that because it had the best meal/toilet break stop too.

http://catmekongexpress.com/