We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just arrived report days 3 - 6

Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Just arrived report days 3 - 6

Just arrived report Days 3-6 Nha Trang

Day 3 –

Woke up early and headed to the airport via Mai Linh Taxi, got dropped at the International terminal and had to walk to the domestic…no problem, was only a 2-3 minute walk, but a good lesson for 1st time travellers…if you are in a hurry, specify which terminal you need.

Check in and security was a breeze, although as mentioned before, the son had his souvenir grenade taken away. We could have checked it in and picked it up again, but we assumed that it would be taken when we left international anyway. lesson learnt, don’t buy replica anything at Cu Chi.

Plane left on time and we would have no hesitation flying with Vietnam airlines again, was more pleasant than the last time we flew with Virgin. A quick flight of around 55 minutes and we had landed in Nha Trang, our baggage was touring the carousel by the time we entered the terminal, from landing to exit was about 5 minutes.

The only taxi option appeared to be “Airport Taxi’s” at a set fee of 380,000 dong, with the return trip also a set fee of 250,000 dong, so we booked the return trip with our taxi driver then and there.

We arrived at our hotel and I showed reception my printed confirmation. (I had booked with the hotel directly, via email) They said sorry no room, but eventually found a room for us on the 8th floor, 2 doubles and an extra single. The tried to charge extra for the extra bed and for breakfast until I told them that they either match the price that they quoted me via email or we walk out.

That sorted we went to our room and had a look around. Nowhere near as nice as the Saigon Domaine in HCMC but adequate for our stay. I will submit a review for this hotel later. The location is great, literaly right across the street for the Louisiane Brewhouse and a couple of streets form the main restaurant area. That being said, we probably wouldn’t stay here again.

We headed out to look around, walked the main beach road and then went looking for somewhere to have lunch. Trip Advisor reviews had us heading for Nha Hang Yens and as the number 1 rated restaurant in Nha Trang we had high expectations. On Tran Quang Khai just a couple of streets fron the Light Hotel, it’s a little difficult to find but after questioning a few locals we were sitting down ready to order. Everyones food was good and I ordered the most expensive dish on the menu, the Seafood and beef hotpot. Service was first class and the lady owner cooked the hotpot for me at the table as I had no idea how long to cook each item for. It wasn’t the taste sensation that I had hoped but it was worth it for the experience.

Back to the hotel and into the pool for a swim, the kids played for a couple of hours while we had a sleep in the sun before heading out again for dinner.

We had planned on going to Treffpunkt but it was full and quite honestly very small and we decided that we wouldn’t wait, being cramped in somewhere so small with 3 kids didn’t sound that appealing, a little bit further down the street on the same side we came across “Salut” restaurant, right across the road from the Golden Summer Hotel. Food was fantastic and I was surprised that it didn’t even rate on Trip Advisor.

I had squid, the wife had a curry dish and the kids had the usual western food, all was excellent.

Day 4 – Vinpearl

Up early for breakfast, good selection of food, egg station which makes good omelettes, nothing that stood out, just a regular buffet and enough to satisfy until lunch.

Booked tickets for Vinpearl Land through reception and had to wait 10 minutes for the passes to be delivered. 400,000 dong for each adult or child over 1.4m and 300,000 for children 1 – 1.4m with under 1m children free.

10 Minutes later we were in a taxi (70,000dong) and we were at the cable car station departing for the island. Wife wasn’t keen previously on the cable car, but after a few minutes she loved it and the views of Nha Trang are good. She commented that the entry price was worth it for the cable car trip alone.

The park wasn’t that busy and there were virtually no queues for anything, we went on the rollercoaster about 6 times to start the day, then all of the other rides that were open. They all have different opening times. The indoor games arcade and bumper cars were fun for an hour or so, but the kids would have been happy on the cars all day I think.

The water park was fun, the steel grate steps to get up to the slides made my feet sore after a while but didn’t slow the kids down. We lined up 4 across on the Kamikaze and I beat all the kids to the finish even after getting airborne on the first bump and slapping down hard on the tackle, I arose gingerly and decided that I wouldn’t do that again..lol.

Food and drinks at the park are ridiculously inexpensive, especially when compared to fun parks on the gold coast. A beer costs around a dollar ad 50cents for a soft drink (20,000 & 10,000 dong). A chicken burger, chips & salad was 40,000 dong or around $2 AU. You can relax on a tube and cruise along the lazy river with a can of Tiger beer….I like it .

A few more rides after the water park and then the cable car back (cable car ride is included in the admission price). We taxied back to the Light, changed and out to dinner again at “Salut”. Another great meal and great staff that made us and the children feel very welcome.

Day 5 – Long Son Pagoda & Thap Ba Mud baths

Breakfast again at the Light and then we set of on foot to the Pagoda taking in local streets and shops along the way. Not much in the way of shopping here. We pass the Cathedral and have a look inside, nice architecture in your into that sort of thing. A bit further down the road, the kids have had enough of the walking in the heat and are all whinging so we get a cab and pay 10,000 dong to travel the last 300 meters…lol

Long Son Pagoda – well if this is your sort of thing go for it, just not my cup of tea, be prepared to be ripped off as in every other “touristy” site. Drinks are triple or more the cost of anywhere else and they try to guilt you into paying exhorbitant “donations” for the orphans that go to school there. Our opinion – PASS

A short cab ride from here and we arrive at Thap Ba mud baths, 100,000 per person. We bathe in mud, kids loved it, followed by hot spring showers and baths. Then hot spring waterfalls and swimming pools with hot spring water – all very relaxing and the skin felt quite good afterwards.

This was what my wife had been looking forward too and she really enjoyed it.

If that experience and seeing lots of Europeans wearing very little, bathing in mud and showering is for you…then go for it….lol.

Naturally after all that relaxing in the mud, we get hungry, so the little café just inside the entrance has a huge menu, including eel, and we order Chicken with Tamarin and soy, Chicken with Chilli & Lemongrass and a hot chicken curry, the 2 youngets have the obligatory spag bol.

Food was great, beers were cheap and we finished with a couple of cocktails, A Midori Cocktail and a Kamikaze Vodka Cocktail for 45,000 dong each ($2)

We taxi back to the “Light” have a swim and decide to go to the “Louisiane Brewhouse”. The kids stay in their swimmers and take their pool toys but unfortunately the pool just closes as we arrive (5pm). Their disappointment is arrested with huge chocolate and Strawberry milkshakes for about $3 a piece. We on the other hand have a tasting plate each of the beers. Expensive by Vietnamese standards but not by Australian standards. The tasting plate consists of a 200ml glass of each of the following beers, Pilsener, Witbier, Red Ale & Dark Ale. I liked them all, wife’s preference was the Witbier. 100,000 per plate ($5)

Then it’s off to dinner once again at “Salut” and another great meal is consumed.

Cyclo back the 2 streets to the “Light” with our youngest fast asleep on Mum’s lap, 20,000 per cyclo and the usual argument with the drivers upon arrival, I hand over the cash, walk away and let them sort it out.

Day 6 – Rest day

We sleep in and have the usual breakfast before lounging around the pool. Wife goes for pedicure, manicure, hair treatment and massage while I write this and watch over the kids in the pool.

Now finished, its time to get the kids out of the pool and head across the road to the “Louisiane Brewhouse” to order another tasting plate of beers and wait for my wife to return so I can go for a massage.

No doubt we will end up at “Salut” agin for dinner and then up an ready for our flight back to HCMC….next report again soon.

Cheers

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just arrived report days 3 - 6

Once again another great report! I'm really enjoying reading your travel stories.

7 months to go........

Adelaide S.A.
Level Contributor
935 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just arrived report days 3 - 6

Thanks for the interesting read and thaks for the PM, I really appreciate it.

australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just arrived report days 3 - 6

wow great report as mr/mrs are heading to nha trang arriving 26th march with no billy lids so maybe an extra mai tai is in order, your report has been amazing thank you.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just arrived report days 3 - 6

great reports, thanks for sharing!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Just arrived report days 3 - 6

Aussie 750, kudos for your great posts! :))

Warners Bay...
Level Contributor
463 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just arrived report days 3 - 6

Aussie "Louisiana Brewhouse tasting plate here we come" hubby will love that, brews his own at home :-)) great report 4 weeks to go for us.

Cheers Sylvia

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just arrived report days 3 - 6

Another great read, thanks.

bundeena
Level Contributor
990 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just arrived report days 3 - 6

Thanks Aussie 750 Im imagining myself on the Lazy river witha tiger in hand

bring on May.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just arrived report days 3 - 6

What a great post. Thanks for sharing. Has given me some ideas for my upcoming trip there :)

Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just arrived report days 3 - 6

Day 7 & 8 report posted, enjoy. :-)