We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train time from saigon to hanoi

WINDSOR UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
train time from saigon to hanoi

has anyone done the train journey saigon to hanoi recently..ie..in 2011 as I see nearly all the post are quite old......please could you advise approx price of ticket,how you purchased and if it was straight forward...and how long the train actually took, as getting conflicting journey times on several sites.Thanks in advance for any information.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: train time from saigon to hanoi

To the flying brigade - I spent the night on the train in the toilet with gasto, while the rest of our party had a nice sleep in the carriage. Would I have done it differently? Hell no - it still gives us all something to have a chuckle about. We don't have any funny anecdotes to chuckle about with our sterile plane flights.

Beechworth...
Level Contributor
223 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: train time from saigon to hanoi

Hi Andrew,

Probably the best way to break it up is to purchase tickets for sectors. For instance initially go Saigon to Danang for a bit of R&R in Hoi An. Do this leg with an over nighter in a comfy soft sleeper. Next leg is Danang to Hue over the spectacular Hai Van pass. Unlike the first leg, this is a short hop of 4-6 hours depending on the train selected. Spend a few days looking around Hue before taking the final leg up to Hanoi. You might even look at breaking the last leg up by stopping at Dong Hoi and going up to Phong Nha.

Check out Seat 61's website for the timetable - you should be able to secure all the tickets in advance from the main railway station in Saigon or the ticket office in Pham Ngu Lao, or along the way from stations themselves.

Enjoy the trip.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,722 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: train time from saigon to hanoi

"Danang to Hue ... this is a short hop of 4-6 hours"

Nowhere near as long as that vigovertigo, but undoubtedly the most scenic stretch of railway in Vietnam.

Andrew, cost-wise there's not a huge difference between flying and travelling by rail with Livitrans between Hanoi and Hue or Danang (the end of its run), or vice versa, but in terms of comfort and toilet cleanliness the Livitrans carriage does have the edge on the soft- and hard-sleeper carriages on the rest of the state-run train to which it is attached.

Beechworth...
Level Contributor
223 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: train time from saigon to hanoi

CB - you're absolutely right. It took us about 3 and a half hours on the SE6 service. And whilst it is very scenic, the views going over the pass can be affected by inclement weather. I think it was the stretch from Hue to Dong Hoi on the TN2 service that took about 5 hours. Going hard seat is a great way to get up and close to the locals. Highly recommended if you are willing to forsake some comforts, at least for part of the journey.

Charleston, South...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: train time from saigon to hanoi

flying would be cheaper and saves a lot of time

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: train time from saigon to hanoi

We have just booked our train travel online with http://www.vietnamimpressive.com/ which was a very fast, efficient and secure service. We're travelling Saigon to Hanoi in just over a week's time (March 2013) on SE2 soft sleeper and sooo looking forward to it....We travelled on a 37 hour journey on an Indian train and you really get to see so much of the country travelling overland that you would not see via plane. I will be posting again on here once we have done our journey...that I'm sure will be unforgettable as seat61 says....

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: train time from saigon to hanoi

We are due to travel from Saigon to Hanoi over the next two weeks and we'll be using the night train, can not wait! We booked our tickets trough www.vietnamimpreasive.com and they have been amazing and so helpful, the booking process has been so easy. We want to have an adventure so would rather travel by train rather than fly. Will report back in 2 weeks!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: train time from saigon to hanoi

Nice work Yvonne and Bertie I look forward to reading your trip reports when you return!

Ho Chi Minh City...
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: train time from saigon to hanoi

Hi bertieboy !

Can you tell me the time of departure, tickets and the number of the train?

I could suggest you some of the sights that you will see at that time.

To complete the journey time is about 30 hours

Mannheim...
1 post
Save Reply
20. Re: train time from saigon to hanoi

Whats your advice on traveling from hanoi to heu , na trang and da nang , for getting on and off ? And do you think we could make a good trip overland to Bangkok from hanoi in 18 days or would that be to much ?