We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I got robbed by ladyboys this week.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
30 reviews
I got robbed by ladyboys this week.

Hi everybody.

I have been coming to Vietnam for a long time and now live here. I have often told people of how safe it is to travel here and it is. Petty crime exsists as in many places and to my surprise, I have also become a victim..... And I am aware of the scams. So pay attention, and don't let this happen to you.

I was walking in the iddle of the at about 7:30 pm when a couple of boys dressed as ladies pulled up next to me offereing massage and sex. Of course I am not interested and tell them to go away. They dropped a little behind me and I paid them no more mind. The passenger got off the motorcycle and approached me quickly from behind and then grasped me by the testicles very hard offering massage. The grip was so tight, I momentarily forgot about the scam and used both of my hands to try to remove the offending grasp. In that moment, the other hand went into my front pocket and releived me of my wallet. He then let go and ran to the bike and sped off before i could catch him It was over in seconds.

The story has not ended yet. I recieved a letter in the mail from Saigon today. In it was a note that if I wanted my wallet bak, call a number. We called and was told that it was found by a very poor person and I could have all of the contents back ( less the money that was in it) if I gave the finder a reward....... Yea right..... I discussed my options with my vietnamese family and a good friend who has seen this happen before. My friend is meeting with the extortionist to give him the 500,000 "reward fo finding my wallet" I wanted to show up with a policeman and put the lowlifes away in prison, but my friends talked me out of it. They were sure that there would be partners watching for this and I would miss my oppotunity to get my id back.

If yo have someboly agressivley approach you this way, try to resist the instinctive reaction of protecting the family jewels, and just punch the person square between the eyes or something else that will knock them away from you I will never make the same mistake again

Owee

www.owee58.com

Sheffield U.K
Level Contributor
997 posts
11 reviews
21. Re: I got robbed by ladyboys this week.

Hi All

Hot 123

in my experience which is not a lot i have to admit, but the killing of tourist does not exist "does it"

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
30 reviews
22. Re: I got robbed by ladyboys this week.

The worst I have hear of is a person driven to a remote location (usually drunk) and getting a bit smacked up if he resists. To the cops defence, I have witnesses the chief of a police station Yelling at some hotel staff about their securit levels and how it was an embassement to Vietnam that a tourist would lose possetions in this manner. however, It could have been all for shoe and profit.

A can also tell you that the corruption squads are down from Hanoi and are trying to put a stop to all the profiteering, and corruption. They have done wonders in the last year of cleaning up NhaTrang. Clean up Saigon??? I think maybe a dream.

I was also tempted to do a sting, but in this case thay had my Vietnamese license with my address.

Lastly. I think the cops on Bui Vien spend most of theit time dealing with issues at Ben Thanh and traffic collisions. They only enforce helmet laws and other minor infractions when the need some coffee money. ;)

Owee

www.owee58.com

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
23. Re: I got robbed by ladyboys this week.

Owee, have you seen the movie The Crying Game ? Dude meets a female impersonator and is initially bummed out when she exposes her male package. Not to give the ending away, but they become friends but not lovers.

Could that work for you with those drag queen street thugs? (wink)

p.s. You've got a lot of balls to roll your story out for public consumption. That might be too T.M.I. for me. But props to you for telling us.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
30 reviews
24. Re: I got robbed by ladyboys this week.

If it helps to prevent a tourist from going home angry and poor, then that is good enough for me. I do not care how pretty they make themselves up to look like, I love my wallet more.

I may not have shared that story if it was my wife grabbing for the wallet. ;)

Owee

www.owee58.com

25. Re: I got robbed by ladyboys this week.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:05 am, April 01, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
26. Re: I got robbed by ladyboys this week.

Owee, one final question...

How would you rate this dudes dressed up like chicks on the 10 to 0 scale, possibly an 8.5? In Bangkok, I have seen some chicky-dudes that were 9 pointers. Even my wife said they were knock out looking broads (my term, not hers).

Owee, next time get some photos of the chicky-dudes that approach you. That way, we can rate them for you. (wink)

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
30 reviews
27. Re: I got robbed by ladyboys this week.

Saigon travel... Thanks for the link, It was fun to read. I have family and connections all over here and was able to handle things. You are right about one thing though.... People are helpful and friendly if they can be, but in my situation none of that cheery advice applied. I could go on for days about why, but not at this time or place.

Al_T_Publican

I did return twice to the same spot with my camera to try and get a photo.... no luck. I have to tell you though, they were not very pretty. They had white pasty faces from the cosmetics, and poorly applied lipstick. The deep husky voice di nothing to turm me on either. I think the only reason they dressed as women is too cause that " I cannot strike a woman" instinct in most men. The whole affair was an adventure, and man I get alot of it. My wife even laughed about it. I was just fortunate enough that I have Vietnamese id so they new where to send their extortion letter. A tourist would have no way of getting the contents returned. Ha!! I should of PM'd you while I was in Sg..... could have given you the whole story

Owee

www.owee58.com

28. Re: I got robbed by ladyboys this week.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 18, 2010