We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vung tau

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
1 review
Save Topic
vung tau

is it worth doing a trip on hydrofoil to vung tau. what is there to see and do.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,763 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vung tau

For a day out...its fine and to escape HCMC. The air is fresh! The sandy beaches were empty - this was midweek. Eevn went for a swim. Water was warm. Its a nice looking place around and about the ferry terminal. Even grabbed a motorbike and went for a tour of the place. Doesn't take long to go from one side to the other though.

However, it does look like it should have more going on.... maybe it springs to life in the evening. Wouldn't know, as I was back in HCMC by the time that arrived.

Mentioned in this post
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vung tau

If you're desperate to see a beach & only have one day to do it, then by all means go to Vung Tau. But only if you're really desperate. The beach is dirty & crowded, the town is very dull, and the locals are probably the least friendly anywhere in VN!

Mentioned in this post
Vung Tau
Vung Tau
Ba Ria-Vung Tau Province, Vietnam
3. Re: vung tau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, September 01, 2009
Wodonga, Australia
Level Contributor
556 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vung tau

What is best way to get to Mui Ne Beach and what would it cost for 3 adults and one child.

How long does it take to get there also

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vung tau

To get to Mui Ne if you're travelling with children, the best option is a private car which costs around US$90 each way. Takes 4-5 hrs depending on traffic. Alternatively you can get the train which costs around US$12 per person in 1st class and also takes around 5 hrs, though you then have to get a taxi from Phan Thiet up to Mui Ne, another 20-30 minutes or so.

You can also get an open tour bus but not ideal if travelling with young children - a lot of waiting around.

Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Phan Thiet
Phan Thiet
Binh Thuan Province, Vietnam
manila
Level Contributor
5 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vung tau

A nicer beach 30 minutes from Vung Tau is Long Hai. Take the hydrofoil Sai Gon to Vung Tau and grab a bus to Long Hai.

Visit and stay at Palace Long Hai. Clean rooms and nice food.

Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Vung Tau
Vung Tau
Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vung tau

You missed a lot Mayte! Vung Tau is the Operations Base for Vietnam's Offshore Oil Drilling/Production Facilities. The town throbs with the big money the CDN/AUS/UK/RUS guys have in hand. Big Motorcycles, big cars, nice Vietnamese wives, extended families, excellent surfside bars c/w huge wicker chairs to sit and yak with Heiniken swilling oil guys, who know all the local happenings and are more than willing to buy you a beer, or give you a ride on their pipe barking 1200 cc chromed monster Harley's.

I worked in the NG Industry and can talk shop with the oil guys. They fixed me up with a round of golf @ 1/2 day rate @ Paradise GC, a day cruise on an extended Viet family member's fishing boat out of the northern harbour & even introduced me to several nice extended family Viet lady relatives!

This is the first place I return to, when I go back to Vietnam in Sept 2010. Check out Harry's and the adjacent Belly Bar's, if you are an ex-oil or Military guy! If you are a wind surfer, the Back Side Beaches offer 20-40kph steady winds and 1-1.5m waves. The Phoc Dat Hotel is $16 USD and stupidly big prawn dinners in a 3 star michelin restuarant, c/w 2 glasses of very nice chilled french white wine is $16.58 USD. Vietnam Nivarna!

Edited: 1:20 am, January 20, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Vung Tau
Vung Tau
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vung tau

There are no Michelin starred restaurants anywhere in Vietnam. As far as I'm aware, the only Asian cities with Michelin starred places are Tokyo & Hong Kong.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Kjorvogur, Iceland
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: vung tau

Dear All,

From SaiGon to Mui Ne we can take the public bus? it is comfortable. We understand some guys will tell me to join their trips but we like go by our way. Please help help!!!

Mentioned in this post
Saigon Hotel
Saigon Hotel
212 Reviews
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Kjorvogur, Iceland
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: vung tau

Dear all experts,

We have heard so much about the beach city of Vung Tau but still thinking about Mui Ne so wondering which is nicer? We really dont care much for the fees.

Mentioned in this post
Vung Tau
Vung Tau
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam