We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

volunteer work in vietnam

UK
Level Contributor
239 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
volunteer work in vietnam

Can anyone tell me of any volunteering projects in Vietnam? I have looked on various sites but they all want a fortune for the priveledge. I have found two projects to start with in Thailand and Cambodia and will go there for the first few months but theses projects only require volunteers to pay living costs and that's it.I am not in a position to spend thousands of pounds to offer my free services.

The two projects in Thailand and Cambodia are run by individuals who started them and I was fortunate to come accross them.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: volunteer work in vietnam

Are you looking for volunteering in travel project?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: volunteer work in vietnam

Have you looked at TSA travel.

I knew they offer for a lot of people coming from UK to teach English in primary and secondary school in Hanoi plus some other projects.

I knew a few friends from UK through these projects. TSA also provide accommodation in one of their buildings by the West Lake in Hanoi.

UK
Level Contributor
239 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: volunteer work in vietnam

Thankyou for your replies.

I am looking to teach English or help generally in orphanages etc

Hanoi
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: volunteer work in vietnam

if you look for a position as English teacher, you can look at Bristish Councel, or Apollo enducation center or May school. They all have webs.

After some time, when you know more about Vietnam, you can either combine or switch to work for orphanage like Huu Nghi ( Friendship) village where the Agent Orange children are nurtured

australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: volunteer work in vietnam

Hi there, i found myself in the same situation as you. I really wanted to help out and work in orphanages in Vietnam after visiting for a holiday, but found it was expensive. I had friends in vietnam who said you can approach the local orphanages and co-ordianate something direct. So i took a leap of faith and did it. I travelled the entire Country and stayed and worked in orphanages all over. I found one in Nha Trang, where they spoke good English and ended up staying there with them for about 4 months. During my time, i stayed at a local backpacker $5 USD, but would go every morning to help kids prepare for school,then stay to tidy up and prepare lunch and then return in afternoons to help kids with homework and english. We were even able to organise group outings to the beach and parks, which was great fun. It was a very casual arrangement but suited what i wanted and i developed a real relationship with the kids and the local people who were very appreciative of what i was doing. I still have my local contacts in Nha Trang if you would like more details, but i would urge you to find out where some orphanages are located and then work out something with them once you are there. You may need some local help with translation though. I can tell you it was a real rewarding experience.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: volunteer work in vietnam

Hi,

if you would like to arrange your volunteer in Vietnam, there are many options for you. You could search and contact with the society centers/orphanage yourself, or you could do it through NGOs or travel agents.

if you contact yourself, it would take time as some centers they dont know English, and you get language barrier and one more thing that noone acts as a guarantee for you to work there.

If you contact with NGO or travel agents, they could be the person to connect you and guarantee for you. And also they can help you to communication, and all arrangement there.

we are now also working with some orphanages and society centers near Hanoi like teaching English for orphans/ blind children following the lesson we provide, help the staffs to take care of disable children, new born babies, elderly people...

We arrange interpreter for some first days to brief about local area and 24 hours support as well as transfer, accommodation. Meals and other fees will be based on your own arrangement. So the price we offer are nearly nett price(just charge some percent for tax). We would like to bring benefit to the community not to charge you a thousand pounds for volunteering.

But any way, you still need to have Federal Police check if you want to volunteer in Vietnam.

Please refer the link below for recommendation: http://educationaltravelasia.com or http://buffalotours.com

Offenburg, Germany
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: volunteer work in vietnam

Hi Mmaille,

If u are looking for a job as English teacher. ILA Vietnam is the best english center I trust. and If u also looking for a volunteer position at education field. ILA Vietnam is also the best place where u can develop urself in many fields. If u need a contact to apply, and tell me which location u like (Hanoi,Saigon or Da nang). Send me private message.

Good luck!

Whiterabbit

Skopje, Republic of...
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: volunteer work in vietnam

Good morning,to U!

I am with my family are planning to arrive in Saigon on the 10-th of Dec,

and yr topic is rather interesting for me too.

In Ukraine i was working in tourism field,but i like children a lot-and it will be my pleasure to be in help for them!

Would u be so kind to give me any contacts in Saigon for possibility to gen on "board" of this organization.

thanks a lot,

best regards,

Irina

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: volunteer work in vietnam

Hey, I have been also looking for volunteering projects in Vietnam. Can you share with me the findings you found. I have tried goggle for the volunteering projects and like you said, they are earning a fortune out of the misery of others. I had found one somewhere near Pleiku based on the lonely planet but I have not done any contact. I am planning to do this in July next year.

I would appreciate it if you can share the information with me.

Ever since my travel trip to Cambodia and Vietnam, I feel I should lend my hands and help them.

Serene =)

Hanoi
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: volunteer work in vietnam

Here is some address I would recommend you to volunteer in Saigon:

1.Thi Nghe Orphanage - 153 Xo Viet Nghe Tinh – Binh Thanh - Saigon. Dont have email.

2.Dieu Giac Pagoda - 177 Tran Nao St, District 2,Ho Chi Minh City - email: khoa_y2k@yahoo.com

3. Thuan An Center (disable children) - B43 Lai Thieu-Thuan An-Binh Duong - Email: daospc@yahoo.com

4. Wildlife Cu Chi Rescue station - www.wildlifeatrisk.org/index.php…

Feel free to contact me if you need further assistant.