We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experiences with lost/stolen passports at Vietnamese Embasy

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Topic
Experiences with lost/stolen passports at Vietnamese Embasy

Hi,

I would be interested in finding out if any Australians have had their passports lost/stolen when applying for a tourist visa through the Vietnamese Embassy in Canberra.

My partner and I sent our completed visa application forms together with a cheque for the fee and our 2 current passports including a return express post envelope to obtain our Tourist visas. These were sent in express mail and the passports were DEFINATELY in the envelope. The package was lodged at our local post office.

2 days later we received a phone call from the visa section saying our passports were not in the envelope and could we forward them. We were astonished at this info as we had both checked all the documents together when sealing the envelope in our home.

I discussed this with the embassy and the guy just fobbed me off saying "Not in envelope must have been tampered with" We contacted our Post Office who could only trace the item, advising of the mail handling process and tracked it to the Embassy.

Funnily enough the money order was still in the envelope, however as it was made out to them I don't suppose anyone could cash it anyway.

When we contacted out own embassy to find out the protocol they said it didn't surprise them and happens all the time.

I am now up for $275 for a replacement and my partner $162 plus postage.

It would be interesting to hear if any other Australians have experienced anything similar.

The Australian Federal Police have been informed of my suspicions.

The moral of the story is : " When applying for these visas, DONT mail them Express Post, send them Registered Mail as it has built in insurance to recover debt.

Coffs

hervey bay australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Experiences with lost/stolen passports at Vietnamese Embasy

thanks for the heads up - we will now ensure to send ours by registered mail. sorry about your bad and expensive experience though,hope the fed police catch whoever took them.

cheers vicki & chris

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
560 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Experiences with lost/stolen passports at Vietnamese Embasy

Oh bad luck Coffs, I hope it all works out for you, when are you guys heading off?

I just posted mine yesterday registered mail thank God!!! but I'll be happy to get them back after your story.

C.

WestVic
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Experiences with lost/stolen passports at Vietnamese Embasy

Sorry to hear about your passport loss. I am still tossing up which whether to send to the VN Embassy in Canberra or do the "visa on arrival" thing. Just checked with my local Post Office and he said the Registered Mail has insurance but only to the value of $100.

I have been quoted US$25 by an agency in VN plus the US$25 on arrival.

Leave in 4 weeks so have to make up my mind soon.

Boogum

Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Experiences with lost/stolen passports at Vietnamese Embasy

WOW...I am so glad that you shared this unfortunate story. I started a forum and raised this exact question only a week or so ago...how safe is this really to do?? By the sounds of it, you were extremely unlucky, as most responses were that no one had had any bad experiences. I am not so sure how confident I am to do this now...and I don't really want to do the visa-on-arrival either. We might be back to paying a travel agent an extra $60 to do it for us using Travcour, who are very safe...

I really hope you get it all sorted well before you leave (not sure when that is??) but it is tough way to start a trip. Please keep us updated if the Feds turn anything up...I really hope you have a good trip and love VN as much as so many of us do.

Rech :)

nsw
Level Contributor
788 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Experiences with lost/stolen passports at Vietnamese Embasy

Hey Coffs

Thats awful, we did Visa On Arrival & our passports never left our hands. Looks like this was not only cheaper but also safer?

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Experiences with lost/stolen passports at Vietnamese Embasy

Thanks everyone for your responses. We don't go until mid October so have enough time to reorganise. We have to get new passports then go for the tourist visa through the Vietnamese Embassy again. I have also got information that sometimes the visas on arrival procedure id flawed and you turn up at the airport (Vietnam) to be told to turn around as you don't have visa. (Plenty of info on previous posts about that on this forum)

Another problem is having to advise our airline of the passport number changes. We booked through Air Asia, Gold Coast to Kuala Lumpur then a few days later KL to HCMC then a week later HCMC to Bangkok, a few days later Bkk to Krabi, then Krabi to KL befor flying home. all of our tickets also have to be changed and has proved to be quite a hassle.

Anyway, we'll put that behind us once we're sitting on the plane with a cold one in our hands.:>

Coffs

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Experiences with lost/stolen passports at Vietnamese Embasy

Hi Coffs, that is very unfortunate as well as a right pain in the rear. Hope you get it all straightened out without being anymore out of pocket.

Lee

Vietnam
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Experiences with lost/stolen passports at Vietnamese Embasy

Sorry for the bad experience.

As you also mentioned visa on arrival, do not worry about you will be turned back while in Vietnam. There won't be any problem as soon as everything is confirmed and you have a permit with you. As soon as you got the permit, this is the confirmation for you to enter Vietnam. Even when you are at the airport and there is problem, just call the agent who arrange the permit for you and they can sort it out in max 3 hours.

9. Re: Experiences with lost/stolen passports at Vietnamese Embasy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, October 07, 2009