We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mekong Delta - 2 or 3 day trip?

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Furlong, PA
5 posts
Save Topic
Mekong Delta - 2 or 3 day trip?

My husband, 12-yr old daughter and I will be in Vietnam for 2 weeks in July 2007. Currently we plan to tour the Mekong Delta for 2 nights/3 days via an organized tour or guide recommended by various TA posts. However, we are unsure if that will be too much time to spend in the Mekong. Can anyone tell me if it's worthwhile spending the 2nd night in the Mekong, in order to travel deeper into that region? The difference looks to be travelling further towards the Cambodian border.

If we end up doing just 1 night/2 days in the Mekong, we would spend an extra day relaxing in Hoi An. Our current itinerary looks like this: 3 nights Hanoi, 2 nights Hue, 3 nights Hoi An, 2 nights Saigon, 2 nights Mekong Delta

Furlong, PA
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mekong Delta - 2 or 3 day trip?

Just updating my previous post in hopes that someone can give me some feedback. This was my first post to TA as a member, although I have used it as an invaluable source of travel advice for quite some time. Can anyone give advice on spending 2 nights as opposed to 1 night in the Mekong? Thanks very much!

Palm Cove, Australia
Level Contributor
632 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mekong Delta - 2 or 3 day trip?

Hi threetravelers

Bumped it up again for you :0) Welcome as a poster !!

It is a bit of a hard question for people to answer. I give it a go.

I went for 2 nights and really enjoyed, but I had more time in the country. From what I noticed most people with limited time go only for 1 night. If doing the 2 nights: I don’t know how you are travelling, but the drive back is quiet long so I would suggest a private tour, taking into account your 12 year old, would be more comfortable than an open bus tour. It really comes down to your interests and how rushed you want to be.

Have you decided on things to see and do at each town? Are you flying between towns ?

To me your plan looks good. (I talk in days) Adding 1 extra day in Hoi An would equal 3 ½ days which allows for a R&R day.

Sorry I probably didn’t answer to good, but bumped your post up again.

Come on other posters jump in !!!!!

Palm Cove, Australia
Level Contributor
632 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mekong Delta - 2 or 3 day trip?

Hi threetravelers

Bumped it up again for you :0) Welcome as a poster !!

It is a bit of a hard question for people to answer. I give it a go.

I went for 2 nights and really enjoyed, but I had more time in the country. From what I noticed most people with limited time go only for 1 night. If doing the 2 nights: I don’t know how you are travelling, but the drive back is quiet long so I would suggest a private tour, taking into account your 12 year old, would be more comfortable than an open bus tour. It really comes down to your interests and how rushed you want to be.

Have you decided on things to see and do at each town? Are you flying between towns ?

To me your plan looks good. (I talk in days) Adding 1 extra day in Hoi An would equal 3 ½ days which allows for a R&R day.

Sorry I probably didn’t answer to good, but bumped your post up again.

Come on other posters jump in !!!!!

CRB-CXR/VVCR, Khanh...
Level Contributor
846 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mekong Delta - 2 or 3 day trip?

The Mekong Delta is deceptive as appears simple to navigate.

In reality it takes some time as the roads are not as good as other parts of VietNam plus they are prone to flooding.

A 1 night, 2 day trip is usually sufficient to get you down to Can Tho and to experience the waterborne market and get a decent flavour of life down there.

It would best to make this trip part way through your HCMC itinerary so you are able to be in HCMC for your departure.

To save time you could take the overnight train to travel between Ha Noi and Hue. The SE1 departs Ha Noi at 19.00H arriving Hue at 08:37H; the SE3 departs Ha Noi at 23.00H and arrives Hue at 10:34H.

A good family Hue hotel is:

Nguyen Tri Phuong Hotel

56 Nguyen Tri Phuong

Hue-Centre, TTH

VietNam

Tel: 054-829-282

E-m: NguyenTriPhuong@yahoo.com

where a Superior room for USD$12-14 will get you a double+single room with a balcony.

You could catch the afternoon City Tour bus, which includes the Citadel, and then take the 12.00H bus, the following day, to Hoi An. An Phu or Sinh opentour are recommended as safest (Hanh Cafe, Camel are worst).

This will get you in to Hoi An by 18.00H the same afternoon.

In Hoi An a good family hotel WITH POOL is:

Nhi Nhi Hotel

60 Hung Vuong

Hoi An, Quang Nam

Tel: 0510-916-718

E-m: vancamdn@yahoo.com

E-m: letannhinhiha@yahoo.com

Web: www.hoiannhinhihotel.com/

This will give you another day in your itinerary. You might find 2 nights in a Ha Noi hotel is sufficient, too.

You can fly from Da Nang to HCMC with either Pacific or VietNam Airlines.

Furlong, PA
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mekong Delta - 2 or 3 day trip?

Hi Alicie

Thanks so much for your post and the big welcome! Your information was very helpful and gives me a little more to consider. We want to take a small tour or perhaps one of the private tours recommended by some other TA members. It sounds like that’s the best way to get a true sense of the region. Our main concern is to not short-change ourselves by spending too little time there. But while we want to get a good feel for the Mekong region we don’t want to run ragged trying to do it. Can you elaborate a bit more on your 2 night tour? How far did you travel and what specific things did you think were most worthwhile? The Sam Mountain climb sounds interesting but I don’t know if it's worth traveling so far in 2/3 days to do it.

As far as the rest of our trip, we have a general list of things we want to do in each location. We plan to fly from Hanoi to Hue [will book when we get to VN]; will hire a car or take the train from Hue to Hoi An. Not sure about travel from Hoi An to HCMC but Darlek’s suggestion about flying sounds like it might be the best one for us. However, I don’t want to miss any interesting scenery if the drive down to HCMC is a good one.

By the way, Darlek, I agree with your tip to do the Mekong trip in the middle of our Saigon stay. That’s actually how we planned to do it. We don’t want to get stuck in the Mekong when we’re supposed to be on a flight back home, as much as I’m sure we will love VN. We plan to visit the Cu Chi tunnels on our last day in Saigon. We have a midnight flight back home that day so we’ll keep the hotel room to get cleaned up before departing for the airport. Thanks, too, for the other suggestions that you listed in your post.

Palm Cove, Australia
Level Contributor
632 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mekong Delta - 2 or 3 day trip?

I sent you a PM outline of my trip and other info I had gathered. I not like too , but to much info and easier than posting for me.

There is much more than the Sam Mountain at Can Doc, I really like and glad we went that far, so recommend that you do and no you won’t feel rushed by going private.

Yes I would fly to hcmc, (with your limited time) sorry not know about scenery along the way maybe others can help.

You have mail :0)

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
229 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mekong Delta - 2 or 3 day trip?

Hi

I have also asked for info on travelling around the Mekong Delta, but I wish to go independently. I posted my question on 17 June if you want to check it out.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293927-i10140-k12…

Also, if you go to the Mekong Delta forum, and look at the posting by Ebony Ivory, it might be of some interest to you.

tripadvisor.com/…7005647

There seem to be a few good comments there that might be of interest

Hope you can follow that info OK. I will be interested to know how you go.

Cheers, Heath

8. Re: Mekong Delta - 2 or 3 day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 pm, September 04, 2009