We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Ho Chi Minh City
Search

Legitimate sim cards at airport?

Bangkok, Thailand
6 posts
1 review
Legitimate sim cards at airport?
Save

I know there are a lot of different booths selling sim cards, but are they actually any legit booths like the phone shops in the city? I need to make some calls from the airport upon arrival, so I need a local sim and would prefer not to have the sim shut down 12 hours later.

27 replies to this topic
Dak Lak Province...
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
102 reviews
105 helpful votes
11. Re: Legitimate sim cards at airport?
Save

It is not using for 30 days, but using for 50 000 dong and then you recharge

12. Re: Legitimate sim cards at airport?
Save

Legitimately.

Some vendors provide online as rental service such as Viet5g.com

Some other sell directly such as Vietsimcard.com

Bandung, Indonesia
Level Contributor
71 posts
80 reviews
53 helpful votes
13. Re: Legitimate sim cards at airport?
Save

I bought a Vietnamobile sim - data only - for 125 000 and have been using constantly for 2 weeks in different parts of Vietnam, no problems at all, fast internet.

Bandung, Indonesia
Level Contributor
71 posts
80 reviews
53 helpful votes
14. Re: Legitimate sim cards at airport?
Save

We have been using Grab for transport for 2 weeks with no problem at all. Much cheaper and easier than taxis. The only place it was the same price - sometimes a little more expensive than taxis was in Hue.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
5,312 posts
15 reviews
14 helpful votes
15. Re: Legitimate sim cards at airport?
Save

SIM card vendors at the airport are just travel agency...I haven't seen any company booth there...

16. Re: Legitimate sim cards at airport?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:29 pm, December 29, 2018

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17,503 posts
5 reviews
12 helpful votes
17. Re: Legitimate sim cards at airport?
Save

The Telco owned and operated booths/outlets at airports are all perfectly legitimate and you should only buy from them.

BUT, sometimes there will be individuals roving around at airports, both inside and outside, trying to hawk/sell sim cards. These are the ones to totally avoid.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
5,312 posts
15 reviews
14 helpful votes
18. Re: Legitimate sim cards at airport?
Save

Ian in HCMC I haven't found any telco booth like in BKK airport. They have telco sign but, they are travel agents selling everything...

Pebble Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
18 helpful votes
19. Re: Legitimate sim cards at airport?
Save

For my short stay in VN, I wanted to remove my USA SIM and use VN SIM. I emailed Viet5G for help, they promptly responded in great details, and gave me some excellent advise, as well as very competitive pricing.

Days later, I learned that my AT&T USA phone are LOCKED ( AT&T has made the process of unlocking one’s iPhone extremely difficult). I gave up the idea of using my AT&T to make phone calls in VN ( and don’t want to pay AT&T roaming charges either!)

The Viet5G customer care is awesome and professional. Even though I did not buy SIMs from them this trip, I would most definitely go to them for any future services. Hope everyone finds a reputable phone company. I think Viet5G is well worth consideration...5* review! Oh yes, Viet5G customer care personnel’s command of English is fantastic! Good luck to all

Pebble Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
18 helpful votes
20. Re: Legitimate sim cards at airport?
Save

Forgot to mention..just google Viet5G.

Why bother standing and waiting at airport ( particularly when we are so exhausted after the long haul? ).

Prior to your trip, email Viet5G, give them specifics, get prices...And they deliver SIMS/phones straight to the comfort of your hotels. Now, that is service!.

I did not ask, but I imagine they might even deliver it to the airport... just ask..?

Good luck..

Reply to: Legitimate sim cards at airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted