We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do about a suspected SIM card scam?

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
2 reviews
What to do about a suspected SIM card scam?

I bought a SIM card from the Viettel counter at the arrival hall (third from the left after heading downwards from the immigration counter).

The staff at the shop told me it would give me unlimited data for 5 days and cost 290,000 VND. I paid and asked for a receipt, but was told that they do not give receipts and merely record purchases in a log book.

The SIM card ran out of data after only 2 days. And I subsequently noticed that the face value of the card is only 90,000 VND.

Could anyone advise me on what to do in this situation?

Kind regards

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: What to do about a suspected SIM card scam?

Yeah, forget about it. Not worth bothering with. If you purchased it in a bona fide Viettel store, I expect you misunderstood.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: What to do about a suspected SIM card scam?

Hey

I plan on buying a SIM card later today. How did you notice later on it was the 90,000 vnd one so I can be aware please?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
241 reviews
3. Re: What to do about a suspected SIM card scam?

Have you taken it into an official Viettel store in D1?

There is a store on Tran Hung Dao street just down from the 5 star Pullman hotel and ask them to check your sim and ask them why the data plan has run out.

And please let us know your result.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,990 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: What to do about a suspected SIM card scam?

I'd take it to a store - was it registered when you bought it? Have a read of the link as it sounds like your sim card has been deactivated ...... prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Vietnam

You'll probably be able to add credit there too. Any seller will do that. I usually get them to add credit and you then get the amount displayed on the phone at point of paying for it. There are codes to get the balance displayed. But saying all that, a 290k dong sim would not come with 290k worth of usage. Even more so if it has data on it. 90k dong sounds about right for starters. Sim cards only get sold for around 30k from what I recall.

1 post
5. Re: What to do about a suspected SIM card scam?

This happened to me too! Only the Viettel salesman at the airport told me it was unlimited data for 30 days (no calling), also for 290,000VND. It stopped working about 10 days into my trip, luckily I was in a city by then (I'm travelling by myself and it's myself and it's my first time in SE Asia so I was relying pretty heavily on maps and info on my phone!).

I went to the Viettel store in Old Quarter in Hanoi when it happened and the staff were totally unhelpful - just said it had ran out of data and handed me the price list for SIM cards. I explained I had been sold it at the Viettel counter at HCMC airport as unlimited data for 30 days but they were not interested and basically ignored me.

I would recommend tourists avoid Viettel when purchasing a SIM card on arrival at HCMC.

Edited: 6:38 am, September 02, 2017
US
Level Contributor
72 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: What to do about a suspected SIM card scam?

rip-off in airport: was sold a tourist SIM for something like 490,000 that was supposed to have 3GB data. I later checked and i only had 1.5. The lady at the airport booth apparently just gave us a standard 90,000 VND Tourist SIM plus 1.5GB of data. (not the 3GB that we thought we were buying)

The lesson is to buy just the 90,000 tourist SIM but Viettel sold for 190,000 ( 100,000 profit for them just sell plain SIM card), no data, and add the data yourself, later. The same SIM card buy outside sold for 90,000.

There is one advantage to buying the base tourist SIM in the airport. The lady has a handset that she pops the SIM into to activate it ...

Save money buy Sim Card outside the airport. It is the way they rip off tourist...

7. Re: What to do about a suspected SIM card scam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 04, 2018