We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any quiet and affordable places to stay in Hanoi?

Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Any quiet and affordable places to stay in Hanoi?

My family of four adults are looking for somewhere QUIET and affordable to stay when we visit Hanoi for a few days in March. I've heard that pretty much anywhere in the old quarter is noisy at night. Should we look for somewhere in the West Lake area then, or is it possible to stay close to attractions without the noise?

Any hotels, hostels, guesthouses you can recommend?

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
48 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Any quiet and affordable places to stay in Hanoi?

has anyone stayed at the Flower Hotel ?

BKK
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Any quiet and affordable places to stay in Hanoi?

Hi,

I stayed last December at the Hanoi elegance hotel at 85 Mamay street, (opposite the Handspan Travel and next door is the Restored ancient house so it is very easy to find). It is a spanking new one with good facilities i.e lift, ree internet and computer in each room. The room has soundproof window and great view. I did enjoy my stay there.

Goo luck

Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Any quiet and affordable places to stay in Hanoi?

Sin Jow (hello) I have just returned 3 days ago from a 3 wk trip in Vietnam. Please read my forum re 'Fortuan Hotel' I left there and went to Hanoi Elegance it was in Old Quarter you could walk to Water Puppets, a great foot massage place, the Lake and everywhere else pretty much although I did take rickshaw to the Museum.

The Hanoi Elegance was $25 a nite and very very clean and the staff were wonderful, they are across from Handspan Tours who do a first class job of tours to Halong Bay (stay the one nite not 2 unless you kayak).

Hope that helps I have their email if you would like it.

Cheers

Sheila

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Any quiet and affordable places to stay in Hanoi?

We recommend the Army Hotel. Here's a copy of the review we posted on this site:

Having stayed in Hanoi before and in the same area, we chose the Army because its location was very convenient to some excellent restaurants - Club Opera, The Emperor and the Sofitel Spice Garden amongst others. It is about five minutes walk from the Opera House. If you have never been to Hanoi before, you may find the streets leading to the Army Hotel a bit off putting. However, one is quite safe.

The hotel (or Army Guest House as the plaque on the gate says) is reminiscent of a modest French provincial hotel of early 20th century construction. It has obviously previously been French Army officers' quarters. Our room was quite spacious and clean, although refurbishment would enhance it significantly.

One of the reasons we chose the Army was its swimming pool which we saw as somewhere to relax in the late afternoon after walking around the streets of Hanoi, Hanoi Old Quarter particularly being such an interesting area . The pool is quite satisfactory, being of a good size, clean and salt chlorinated, with trees around providing shade.. Our room looked out on to the pool but we were never disturbed by noise in the nine days we stayed there.

Breakfasts were generous with a good variety of dishes including European and Vietnamese. We didn't eat other meals there so can't give an opinion on lunch or dinner cuisine.

Staff generally were pleasant and obliging, although their command of English was a bit sparse in many cases. The reception staff were efficient but could be a bit offhand. However, if you worked at it you could get a smile from them.

Laundry was same day service day and very reasonably priced.

Our only complaint was that the mattress on the queen sized bed was not inner spring and consequently was not quite as comfortable.

Would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to somebody on holiday who is looking for somewhere a notch or two below the more modern hotels.However, we don't think it would make a very suitable base for business travellers.

Kalasin
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Any quiet and affordable places to stay in Hanoi?

I was in and out of hanoi four times this past October and used the Hanoi Guest House as a base of operations. The staff there was excellent.

This is located in the old quarter but it was never really noisey. Also the rooms are removed a bit from the street and once the door was closed i you could have been anywhere.

Hanoi Guest House is extremely economical. I am living in Thailand and should I make it back to Hanoi I will definitely stay at this location again.

australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Any quiet and affordable places to stay in Hanoi?

Hello Travellers Itch

I stayed at the Galaxy Hotel in January this year and found it very good value. It is very centrally located - only 10 to 15 mins walk to lake Hoam Kiem lake and amongst a lot of good shopping. I paid $45US for a double room. It is a very old hotel but has been completely renovated, everything was new and clean. Has a good restaurant/bar attached. I also agree with Stevethekiwi about the Melia Hotel. It is wonderful. Real 5 star if your budget can stretch. I had only one night there, my last night in Hanoi - and got lucky. They upgraded me to an executive suite on the 21st floor so I was very happy with my choice.

Cheers

Aussie lady

KL
Level Contributor
85 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Any quiet and affordable places to stay in Hanoi?

Hanoi Elegance 2 or Golden Sun? Any recommendations?

18. Re: Any quiet and affordable places to stay in Hanoi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, August 28, 2009