We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Quarter hotel w/ in-room safe and w/o too pushy staff?

3 posts
Save Topic
Old Quarter hotel w/ in-room safe and w/o too pushy staff?

Hello to you all!

I've read more or less all posts about ho(s)tels in Hanoi now, but somehow I'm more confused than ever.

I learned that many of the smaller hotels/ hostels are trying very hard to sell you tours and sometimes show some very nasty reactions if you don't. So I'd be very glad, if someone could advise on which places to avoid.

Also can anyone - no tout if possible (noticed quite a few) - recommend a clean hotel/ hostel located in the old quarter that has an in-room safe - I don't feel very good carrying passport, tickets, cash, credit cards etc. with me all the time. Don't want to spend more than US$50 per night/room (if possible less).

Thank you very much in advance!

BMT, Central...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Quarter hotel w/ in-room safe and w/o too pushy staff?

You should always remember hotel management can get in room safes!

Don't be over-confident about safes!

Some sage once said: 'Locks are for honest people."

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Quarter hotel w/ in-room safe and w/o too pushy staff?

Hi Hemera,

Get rid of your confusion!----I have stayed in more 2-3 hotels in VN I can remember!----I have always locked my personal stuff in my room safe----Never once a problem!---Of course the hotel can get into your safe!----Thank heavens they can, because people forget their access code!---You trust the lock on your car in shopping centre carpark?---Of course you do! Much higher risk of loosing your car in your own country.

When you say " many of smaller hotels/hostels etc etc----"-----Nothing is further than the truth!!!!!!----Small hotels are delightfully pleasant places to stay---The will ask you if you want a trip organized----I will say 'Yes" sometimes , "No" on other occassions----AND THATS IT!

If you want to spend $8USD/night then yes , this could happen---maybe!!!!

Selling Nothing is "Ghosting" hotels so he sees more than us-----BUT, that should not be off putting----95% of the time you are OK---If you pay $30USD for a room anywhere in VN you are OK.

With the greatest respect to the VERY SMALL number of posters who have trouble at these hotels, I am certain they have just as much trouble with any thing they do---anywhere---natural losers.I have at least 2-3 friends travelling VN at any one time in VN all year round at this standard of hotel for at least the last 10 years.

Stop Worrying---Relax ---AND ENJOY!!!!!

plover

Seal Beach, CA
Level Contributor
519 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Quarter hotel w/ in-room safe and w/o too pushy staff?

Try this hotel. I stayed here in Late July and very happy with their service.

www.hoabinhpalacehotel.com

I paid 35 US for a Deluxe room with breakfast included. Just write the hotel directly for a quote.

Use this website www.vietnamscout.com for a map of Hanoi.

This hotel is 5 minute walking from The Water Puppets show.

BMT, Central...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Quarter hotel w/ in-room safe and w/o too pushy staff?

Plover:

I was thinking of some of those nasty hotels in Ha Noi who have free InterNet with keylogger software for catching those handy bank dealings; and the hotel that had someone in management who skimmed the contents of the room safes.

Even leaving stuff at the front desk can be a risk - the law in VietNam is so weak on the hotel front.

They should adopt the Greek system where the seasonal room rates are posted in each room, too.

I've never seen a hostel for USD$50 in VN though.

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Quarter hotel w/ in-room safe and w/o too pushy staff?

S-N,

I agree with you!----you can find some bad places to stay, but with a bit of care the average person gets through quite easily---As I continue to beat my drum on DIY, if you book top room in small hotel ,2-3star, you should have little trouble ---$30-50USD is an indicative budget!----AND have a look first!---how many times have we all said!

plover

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Quarter hotel w/ in-room safe and w/o too pushy staff?

Thank you guys for taking the time and answering me.

I think that by reading all those reviews (some quite negative, but might be that some people are just natural complainers) and forum postings I got a rather wrong image about hotels/ hostels in Hanoi.

I had first thought of staying at hostels, was browsing travellers' forums, looked at some websites such as hostelworld (if anyone ever did that, did you notice that the hostels' descriptions all sound like it's one and the same hostel? Same text, same services offered (like 10 US$10 per night incl. airport pick up, internet, breakfast etc. - sounds a little too cheap to be true, doesn't it?). But I got the impression that if you spend just some more money it might well be worth it.

So I'm looking forward to my trip now!!

7. Re: Old Quarter hotel w/ in-room safe and w/o too pushy staff?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 20, 2009