We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self drive in northern vietnam

Malaysia
1 post
Save Topic
self drive in northern vietnam

Hi..i am planning to Hanoi in December. 10D9N. Understand that the international license is not regconised in VN. But can i still rent a car (self driving) through some car hire agency? I have been experience in self drive to Northern Thailang (Chiang Mai - Mae Hong Son - Pai - Chiang Rai) and Bali before. So, it's no doubt of my driving skill. Despite of dangerous and no insurance cover, is it still possible for me to drive car in vietnam? Did anyone of you have been this experience before?

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: self drive in northern vietnam

Hi adacc,

Wherever you have driven in the world is meaningless!

DO NOT DRIVE IN VIETNAM!---You want to end up in some the most difficult positions?

This is the BEST advice you are ever going to get!!!!

plover

Hanoi
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: self drive in northern vietnam

Plover has a good advice. In Vietnam, traffic is very difficult for you to try. There are many accidents occurred.

However, you still have a chance to challenge yourself.

Cheers

BMT, Central...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: self drive in northern vietnam

Your international licence is recognised - inasmuch as they will issue a VN licence for the duration of your visa based on the vehicles you are licenced to drive.

The only problem no one will rent you anything with 4 wheels - except with their driver. (You are responsible for feeding the driver and paying for basic accommodation if you go out of the town you rent in).

I live here and it took me 2 years before I ventured in to either Ha Noi or HCMC in daytime - and you have to modify your driving style from assertive to yielding.

Most Vietnamese appear to have learned their driving skills on four-footed vehicles pulling carts. They have minimal concept of road rules.

Foreigners are always at fault in case of accidents - unless you have a video camera that runs whilst you drive - and bribes are often needed to quieten the police, too.

Asia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: self drive in northern vietnam

You must be crazy to drive in Vietnam!

if you have an accident it WILL be your fault no matter what and know matter how right you think you are....

If you hurt someone you are likely to end up in a Vietnamese jail for a very long time......you DO NOT want to go there!

Your driving skill may be great but other peoples is not.......and I tell you now if you get stopped by a policeman (roadside checks are common) you may have a major problem cos there is no way he will be able to understand you.....

just get a driver ........it's cheap and a lot safer!

Asia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: self drive in northern vietnam

You must be crazy to drive in Vietnam!

if you have an accident it WILL be your fault no matter what and know matter how right you think you are....

If you hurt someone you are likely to end up in a Vietnamese jail for a very long time......you DO NOT want to go there!

Your driving skill may be great but other peoples is not.......and I tell you now if you get stopped by a policeman (roadside checks are common) you may have a major problem cos there is no way he will be able to understand you.....

just get a driver ........it's cheap and a lot safer!

Even the locals don't rent cars without drivers!!

Hanoi
Level Contributor
377 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: self drive in northern vietnam

Hi Adacc,

It's not a wise decision to hire a car and drive in Vietnam either you plan to just drive around the city, surounding area of Hanoi or you want to drive up North.

1. within 1 - 2 days you can not understand the "traffic culture" of Vietnam. Things on the road here is nothing - nowhere to compare with. You will never foresee the reaction of motorbike drivers + truck driver + bycicles + people running across the street/highway...

2. If anything happend ---> without luck you will get in serious problem before the local can connect you to the ermergency system

3. driving around here, out of the city you will easily get lost since the signages are not really at right place - right time. Even us, the local we need to ask for direction once in a while,

Travel by yourself is fun. But here is very different to Thailand where you can just got in Budget car and rent one in a good condition, have a map, go on, fill you tank along the highway, have food in stop over point. Here you can not sure of the car condition, for long ride you will have problem to find out where is the next gas station...ect

So - Stay cool, hire a car with driver, lend back and enjoy watching out of the window.

Seems like nobody will say YES! Hire a car and have fun!

7. Re: self drive in northern vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, August 23, 2009