We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sapa - for how long?

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
spain
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sapa - for how long?

How long would you recommend for a trip to Sapa ? Three or four or five nights?

Are there markets on all week or only at weekends? Is it better to do this tour with an agency or independently?

Thanks

BMT, Central...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sapa - for how long?

The markets are on the weekends - when the prices increase. Besides, tourism has destroyed what is known as the 'love market'.

Many find three days in Sa Pa is sufficient to explore the area and learn how the local First Nations peoples live.

Ba Ha is an increasingly populat destination - the opposite side of Lao Cai.

Forget a tour operator, go buy the Ha Noi >> Lao Cai ticket from 120 La Duane two / three days ahead of time. You can get a guide through your hotel - they know the best guides for your interests.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sapa - for how long?

steffers when will you be going?

when i was researching our trip to Sapa i realised that we may have been sharing a cabin with two other people. I definately wanted a private cabin for two and i booked about 8 weeks ago with Tonkin. You will find them on here. Anyway the cabin i wanted was already fully booked and we're not travelling there until start of November!

So if you want private carrage then perhaps use a local operator like Tonkin Travel to book in advance. Good thing is, you don't pay in advance. They can also book your accommodation or you can do it yourself (we did).

cheers

Sunny

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,766 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sapa - for how long?

we booked three months ahead with tonkin and couldn't get the cabin we wanted going to LaoCai - managed to get it coming back

We also wanted a cabin just for the two of us, but we wanted the timber lined de-luxe and that sells out way ahead.

Selling-nothing , I'm sure you mean well and probably have such a great knowledge and info, but you would need to know the type of people you are advising to book three days ahead-

I've read your answer about this before, but it still doesn't help when you are new to the country and customs. Going to buy a ticket three days prior to leaving would not work for most people.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sapa - for how long?

I traveled on the Tulico train in June,booked through Handspan about two months in advance.Tulico have a limited number of private ie two berth cabins-worth the extra for the peace of mind/security.

Hanoi
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sapa - for how long?

I would recommend 3 nights. You can explore many places depend on your demand.

Places: Thac Bac, Ta Phin, Ta Van, Cat Cat, Ban Den....

If you want to climb the highest mount in Vietnam (Fanxifang), one more day is ok.

Train ticket should be booked with a Tour operator (a good train). If you want to buy your self, there is only SP2 (a slow train) with Bed ticket of 15USD, the lowest one of 5USD but this train is very slow, noisy and dirty.

Cheers and good luck

6. Re: Sapa - for how long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 20, 2009