We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking:train ticket-Hanoi -Sapa

sel.malaysia
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Booking:train ticket-Hanoi -Sapa

Please advice on contact for train booking and guide booking at Sapa

My email:leeopang@hotmail.com

BMT, Central...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Booking:train ticket-Hanoi -Sapa

Message to Maz1

If you found the glass doors to Platform 1 open - you were fortunate. Platform tickets can be bought at the station - VND20,000 or a similar payment to any rail staff guarding the door.

Duong Sat now run an e-res system and if you want passage on a 'full' train they will 'wait list' people. Many Travellers using Travel Agents are transitory and the agents will not wait list you - ergo, they will tell you the train is full. Then kiss you off.

I have now posted full Lai Cai train info separately - [ Ha Noi - Lao Cai Train Information ].

When we required an extra freight carriage to ship our stuff en route to Ha Giang they only required 6 hours notice.

Dealing with Duong Sat is always the best.

The Victoria carriages are intended for the over priced Victoria Hotel - others get to ride when there is space. My choices are: Tulico, Ratraco, Friendly/Royal.

Remember, these guys are operating on a SINGLE track and operate a tighter system than any Euro or North American rail system. And what a bargain - accommodation AND transportation for a real bargain price.

Duong Sat? Means Road of Steel - the legal name for the rail operating company. You call it VietNam Railways.

Enjoy your rail trips.

florida & QC
Level Contributor
757 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Booking:train ticket-Hanoi -Sapa

Maz,

You made me laugh when mentioning a shower. I did not expect there is shower on the Victoria Express, although I did expect a private toilet and sink inside the room, given the expensive price I paid.

For only 1 night, take a shower at your hotel before boarding. The last time I took an overnight train in France in 1990, I did not see a shower down the hall but I saw some took a shower at the station, uh oh not my style --worry of thief while showering.

For trains travelling long-distance routes such VIA Rail Canada and Amtrak, each room includes a sink and toilet, and a shower located down the hall. They even have a kitchen and panoramic dome. It takes 4 days by rail coast-to-coast, travelers really need a shower indeed.

Actually travelling by rail can be a great way to see scenic routes. I’ve not taken train in N.A. Feel like I am missing something. Due to recent heightened airport rules --allow extra time for checkin, waiting inline, flight delays, no water, no meals-- all these things would make rail travel be a better option.

I have an idea for overnight train in VN, how about a bidet which takes less space and water than a shower. -))

13. Re: Booking:train ticket-Hanoi -Sapa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 22, 2009