We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possible to visit SAPA + Ha Long Bay in 2 days?

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sao Paulo, SP
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it possible to visit SAPA + Ha Long Bay in 2 days?

I intend in arriving at HAN airport on 25th FEB/14 around 9 am, is it possible to still go in a day trip to SAPA in that very same day? or go to Ha Long bay straight?

Another question, I've been reading a lot about the Ha Long Bay tour, and I'll definetely look into it, and most of them mention that it requires 2 days (mostly due to time lost to get there) so that means that 1 day isn't that great, right?

I ask that because, I've seen another travellers mentioning the company websites of specialized tourguides, but I've tried to get into touch with them, but didn't really got an answer... something just ocurred to me, can I book it from the airport?

So I'm really inclined to spend 3 days in Vietnam, don't know If I'm going to need more... after that I plan to spend more 3 days in Siem Reap and then Thai beaches.

As you noticed I've got a lot of plans and a lot of doubts, lol... so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

*edit* I'll be travelling light and alone, so no worried If I have to run and catch the plane.

Many thanks!!

Edited: 6:11 am, December 03, 2013
1. Re: Is it possible to visit SAPA + Ha Long Bay in 2 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, December 04, 2013
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,713 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it possible to visit SAPA + Ha Long Bay in 2 days?

Quite frankly Danilo, and bearing in mind the places you want to visit, just 3 days in Vietnam wouldn't be worth the cost of the visa.

Sapa: no, you can't take a day trip, and even if you could you would not be able to do it after a 9 am arrival. Apart from a less than desirable day train that starts from central Hanoi in the early morning and takes all day to get there, the Sapa trains depart from Hanoi in the evening and arrive early in the morning at Lao Cai, from where it's necessary to go by road to Sapa. The same goes for the return journey, so no less than 2 days/3 nights should be contemplated.

Almost the same goes for Halong Bay. The return road trip would take up to 8 hours, and even with a private transfer by car from the airport (very expensive) you would only have a few hours on the bay.

So to reiterate, visiting Vietnam for such a short time really isn't worth the cost of the visa.

Enjoy your time in Thailand and Siem Reap!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it possible to visit SAPA + Ha Long Bay in 2 days?

Hi,

2 days for both Sapa and Halong bay is not possible.

For Sapa is not enough time because total travel 2 ways Hanoi - Sapa - Hanoi take you 22 to 26 hours.

For Halong Bay in one day will be fine. Many guests also go 1 day to Ha Long bay.

if you can extend your time, Sapa should need 2 days 3 nights .

If you can not extend your time you can visit Tam Dao, cool, high mountain area Just 1,5 drive from Noi Bai airport .

Hope this will help...

Edited: 8:42 am, December 03, 2013
Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it possible to visit SAPA + Ha Long Bay in 2 days?

Danilo, have you done any research at all into your trip?

What you want to do just isn't possible. If all you can spare Vietnam is 3 days the time will be better spent in Siem Reap and Thailand.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
295 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it possible to visit SAPA + Ha Long Bay in 2 days?

Hi,

You should either visit Ha Long in 2ds/1night or discover Sapa in the same duration. It is impossible to visit both in 2 days exception to using witch's broom. LOL. Because you will arrive Hanoi around 9 am, so move to the center to discover Hanoi in half day. Walk around the old quarter to see a bustling city and book your Halong trip there as many tour companies are in the old quarter. You will be picked up to Halong in the next morning.

Enjoy your trip in Vietnam!

Edited: 8:26 pm, December 03, 2013
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it possible to visit SAPA + Ha Long Bay in 2 days?

Hi Danilo,

It's impossible to make it, just choose 1 of those 2 destinations!

For Ha Long Bay, if you just take day trip, it should be 8 hours on the road (go and comeback from Hanoi to Ha Long Bay) and just only 4 hours for you to discover one of the World heritage (mainly just sitting on the cruise). It's NOT worth the money at all! So, at least, make it 2 days.

For Sapa, due to the difficulty to get there, it's likely the only way to go to Sapa is the overnight train (just few train to go to Sapa in the daytime, and if you took it, it cost you the whole daytime to get there). Means that you have to spend nearly haft day in Hanoi before you come to Sapa. You will be in Sapa around 5 or 6 am of the second day and have about 13 hours to discover it before getting another train to get back to Hanoi. The 3rd you will be in Hanoi around 4am and get ready for your fly.

I think at the end of Feb, the activities in Sapa is much better than Ha Long Bay (too cold to swim at that time) but to go to Ha Long bay will be easier trip for your limited time in Vietnam.

Cheers!

leicester
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it possible to visit SAPA + Ha Long Bay in 2 days?

I wouldn't bother calling in for just three days. You will see nothing and pay for a visa pointlessly. It's not quick to travel in VN, so maybr come back when you have time to do it justice.

Sao Paulo, SP
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it possible to visit SAPA + Ha Long Bay in 2 days?

Thanks for all advice and replies!

I really understand that 2 or 3 days are really unworthy and hard to make justice to one place, its that I'm coming from the other side of the globe (Brazil) and since I'll be really close to those two places (Ha Long and Angkor Wat) I think would be a good opportunity to visit them (even for a short period of time).

I can't really imagine when I'll be able to go back to southeast Asia, since I don't dispose of that many time or resources (mostly time).

I'd definetely spend 3 days in Vietnam, 3 days in Cambodia and my other 8 days in Thailand.

If anyone else has more tips on where I could book the Ha Long trip, I'd be more than happy to hear! I've came across this site http://halongsapatours.com/ but they kinda don't answer back, sooo....

Cheers.

Edited: 5:06 am, December 04, 2013
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,713 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it possible to visit SAPA + Ha Long Bay in 2 days?

Danilo, it's possible that the Hanoi hotel you choose (you will have no choice but to spend at least one night in Hanoi) will offer an accommodation and Halong Bay cruise package. If there's nothing on their website, contact them by email for cruise suggestions and a quote.

Just don't book with any agent who approaches you via a private message (strictly against the Trip Advisor rules) or your time in Vietnam could be ruined by incompetence, at best.

Edited: 5:19 am, December 04, 2013
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it possible to visit SAPA + Ha Long Bay in 2 days?

You'd better spend time in Hanoi and Halong bay. Even you go to Sapa by helicopter- as CEO of Facebook did, it would take you 1.5 hour to get to LaoCai from Hanoi then 1 hour by car from LaoCai to Sapa......

If I were you, I would spend 8 days in Vietnam, 3 days in Camdodia and 3 days in Thailand :)