We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dealing with Tet Holiday - Feb 2014

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
99 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Dealing with Tet Holiday - Feb 2014

Oh dear! I have just booked and paid for my flight (Arr Hanoi 31 Jan, Dep 5 Feb). When I wrote in to a Junk Boat Company to enquire on their tour, I learned that they are close for Tet holiday.

I am now frantically searching for alternative cruise. Meanwhile, may I know if all business will be close during that time?

Thank you very much.

Edited: 4:20 am, October 17, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Hanoi Free Tour Guides - Private Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours
Vietnam in Focus
Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dealing with Tet Holiday - Feb 2014

Oh dear indeed!

I do hope you manage to find another cruise. If you do, you might consider staying on it for 2 nights as Hanoi will be like a ghost town for the first few days of Tet. All shops, banks, markets, street stalls, attractions and a large percentage of restaurants will be closed.

Will it be possible for you to change your flights?

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
99 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dealing with Tet Holiday - Feb 2014

Hi CreakingBones, thank you for the advise. Yes, I am looking for a 3D2N cruise now.

I wouldn't mind a quieter Hanoi. My main worry I wont get to try the street food. Do you have any idea when will the vendors usually return to work?

Also, will it be a problem getting in and out of airport?

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dealing with Tet Holiday - Feb 2014

Things should slowly start to return to normal from the third day of Tet so with a bit of luck there will be some street food for you to try after your cruise.

You will be able to get to and from the airport, but it might cost more than usual and it would be wise to book your transfers in advance, either through your hotel or with one of the transfer companies.

Ha Noi
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dealing with Tet Holiday - Feb 2014

Don't worry about that because some restaurants still open on that day, and will open back within 3 days.

Not any problem when you check in or out of the airport.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
99 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dealing with Tet Holiday - Feb 2014

Thanks for the advice. I have finally found one cruise provider (bigger size junk) that continue to operate during Tet. Phew. Not my ideal choice as I prefer a smaller boat but most probably will go with them if I can't find other alternatives.

I will certainly make plans for airport transfer prior to setting off. Thanks for the reminder.

This is so funny. I planned to escape Singapore Chinese New Year celebration (most business close) only to find myself stranded in another one.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dealing with Tet Holiday - Feb 2014

Ha, such is life touristmouse!

All's well that ends well, though, and cruising on a junk on Halong Bay is probably about as far removed in feel as you can get from Chinese NY in Singapore. I'm so pleased you managed to find something, even if it wasn't your first choice. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dealing with Tet Holiday - Feb 2014

My friends and I will also be in Hanoi during Tet arriving on 31 Jan. We are planning to be in Sapa from 1 - 2 Feb. Is that advisable? Or should we go for the cruise like what touristmouse is doing?

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Sapa
Sapa
Lao Cai Province, Vietnam
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dealing with Tet Holiday - Feb 2014

Actually, 2nd & 3rd of Feb are ok for Sapa tour course things are open for tourists. It is on second day of Lunar New Year festival and you can see the special things of the ethnic minority people enjoy their Tet. It is cold in Sapa on those days so should bring warm clothes

Mentioned in this post
Sapa
Sapa
Toronto
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dealing with Tet Holiday - Feb 2014

Hey

2 friends and I get into Hanoi in jan30

We are going to sapa just for a couple of hours. Going to take the night train on jan31 and then return by the night train on feb1.

We booked out halong cruise through our hostel (Vietnam backpacker hostel) for feb2-4.

We then fly to Saigon on feb5

U could join us if u would like :)

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Sapa, Vietnam
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dealing with Tet Holiday - Feb 2014

sockalenga, I highly recommended you go to Sapa during the tet holiday because over there the ethnic peoples celebrate their new year with some very interesting festival only once year that you can see. but you should book in advance if you plan go to sapa and remember bring some warm clothes.

Mentioned in this post
Sapa
Sapa