We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Searching for a Crafts Village east of Hanoi....

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
228 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Searching for a Crafts Village east of Hanoi....

Hello. My husband and I are leaving for Vietnam next week. After 4 days in Hanoi, we will be taking an overnight cruise on Halong Bay. We have a little extra time on the way back from Halong Bay to the Hanoi airport, (as well as a private driver and guide), so we'd like to try to stop at one of the crafts villages between the two areas. A friend of mine who was in Vietnam a few years ago said she stopped a a "very touristy but nice" village that featured embroidery, paintings and pottery. She can't remember the name of it! It wasn't Bat Trang.

We would love to stop in this type of place, as long as it's not too far off the route from Halong to Hanoi.

Does anyone know where this might have been, or have suggestions of similar places to stop and buy some handicrafts?

Thank you!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Searching for a Crafts Village east of Hanoi....

One of the villages on the East side goes by the name of Bat Trang. It is mainly a pottery center but also has lots of other stuff. It is pretty big and the choices are wide-ranging but one must bargain to obtain the best possible price. I got some nice things there a few weeks back. Short taxi ride but I think it is best to keep the taxi with you to ensure a ride back. There is also a public bus that goes directly to the village from Hanoi center.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Searching for a Crafts Village east of Hanoi....

You could go to Dong Ho Village with folk woodcut painting in Song Ho Commune, Thuan Thanh District, Bac Ninh Province about 35 km from Hanoi.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Searching for a Crafts Village east of Hanoi....

Jeannie,

One way to travel Ha Noi - Hai Long is through Bac Ninh province to the east-northeast of Ha Noi.

bacninh.gov.vn/dukhach/…

Look at the map on the right hand side; you would take Natl' Hwy 1A out of Ha Noi, to Natl' Hwy 18 to go to Ha Long.

There are quite a few craft villages along the road, especially in Tu Son.

You can show the list to your driver to ask him whether they are not too far off the way.

Sorry, it looks like the English version of that website is terrible.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
848 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Searching for a Crafts Village east of Hanoi....

"A friend of mine who was in Vietnam a few years ago said she stopped a a "very touristy but nice" village that featured embroidery, paintings and pottery."

It could be all the shops that buses stop on the way to Halong. They are exactly what mentioned in the quote.

5. Re: Searching for a Crafts Village east of Hanoi....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:59 am, October 10, 2013
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Searching for a Crafts Village east of Hanoi....

There is a festival of traditional handicraft villages in Hanoi, from 8 to 12, October, 2013 at Quan Ngua Stadium in Hanoi. I think you may enjoy the event.

7. Re: Searching for a Crafts Village east of Hanoi....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 12, 2014