We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any good local food places to recommend around Tay Ho?

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Any good local food places to recommend around Tay Ho?

Hello,

I would like to know if there are any good local eateries around the Tay Ho/West Lake district? It doesn't seem like a thriving area for local Vietnamese food it seems. We are staying at a hotel nearby. No western restaurants please, although we are fine with trying out the Vietnamese baguette sandwiches..

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,317 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any good local food places to recommend around Tay Ho?

First of all, are you sure you want to stay in that area - it's quite far from the action of the Old Quarter? This is the expat section of Hanoi, and if your purpose is to experience Vietnam, you're in the wrong spot in my opinion.

The following is a list of places to eat that the expats like - many in Tay Ho:

…xemzi.com/en/c/1/cat/11/restaurants-hanoi

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any good local food places to recommend around Tay Ho?

One of favorite pho place in town is right next to the Syrena shopping complex in Tay Ho, on Xuan Dieu (if you are facing the shopping mall its on your left, right next to Elite fitness. Pull up a plastic stool and enjoy! I also really like Dieus Cuisine at 25 Xuan Dieu. Ca Sot (fish soup with vermecelli) is outstanding on To Ngoc Van across from the embassy (turn onto To Ngoc Van from Xuan Dieu, go down till you see Deluva on your left, turn left onto To Ngoc Van at Deluva, go down to the first street food place on your left, about a 2 min walk after you turned at Deluva). St. Honores is not local, a French bakery/cafe, but is well worth a meal.

london
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any good local food places to recommend around Tay Ho?

Thanks! Is there a name for the pho eatery you mentioned on Xuan Dieu?

@daawgon, we're staying at the Intercontinental and hope to pop out for lunch at a local eatery when we arrived. We figured we'll be in the Old Quarter during the day time anyway..

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,317 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any good local food places to recommend around Tay Ho?

Val - I don't think you understand Hanoi. Staying in Tay Ho/Westlake means you are taxi-dependent, and that's a really bad thing in Hanoi where cab scams are the worst in Vietnam. If you want 5*, suggest you book the Metropole in the French Qtr.

Hanoi, Ha Noi...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any good local food places to recommend around Tay Ho?

West Lake's Shrimp Cake is one thing you should not miss. You can find a restaurant in Thanh Nien Street near Sofitel Hotel. It is called as Banh tom Ho Tay Restaurant

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any good local food places to recommend around Tay Ho?

Val W, there really isnt a name. Just look for Elite Fitness, as you face it move your eyes to the left and you will see two side by side little food places. The Pho place I like is the one directly to the left of Elite.

Elena makes a very good point about the shrimp cakes. Walk down to the shore of West Lake (from Xuan Dieu turn left on Dang Thi Mai and keep walking till you hit the lake), then walk to your left along the lake. There is a very nice pagoda here and the street is lined with shrimp cake places. All seem about the same. Grab a cold beer and a shrimp cake and watch the sun set. Do try the Ca Sot, great taste but very different from pho. I split my morning breakfasts between the two places, and then occasionally hit Joma Cafe when I want a little taste from home (also on To Ngoc Van).

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any good local food places to recommend around Tay Ho?

I would highly recommend Sen Tay Ho restaurant (614 Lac Long Quan St). You will pay around 170K - 300K VND for the buffet there. They have a whole lot of typical Vietnamese dishes for you to enjoy. Being a native Hanoian, I myself really like the food there.

sentayho.com.vn/index.php…

PM me if you need further information on local food around Hanoi

8. Re: Any good local food places to recommend around Tay Ho?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:30 am, June 29, 2016
9. Re: Any good local food places to recommend around Tay Ho?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 29, 2015