We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels, tours and secure payments

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels, tours and secure payments

Hi,

I've been negotiating with a certain hotel in Hanoi via email about a package deal to include a room, Halong Bay tour and airport transfers. They have given me a deal that I'd like to take, but when it came time to confirm, they asked for 30% deposit and the only payment options they gave were Western Union, Paypal, credit card via fax or bank deposit, none of which sound particularly secure to me. It sounds very fishy, so I've asked them to provide me with another option. Has anyone experienced something similar and can offer advice? I know things are very different over here, but I'd rather not get scammed for 30% of what looks like a reasonable (but not even too cheap) deal.

Thanks

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,088 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels, tours and secure payments

Which hotel is that? It's currently a buyer's market for all travel in VN - no deposits really necessary unless you want something very special. I would beware of the contents of that package - are they deals that you would normally buy anyway?

I can vouch that Paypal is very safe.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels, tours and secure payments

Well SouthernShark, the fish might not smell as strong as you think.

Over many years of staying in Hanoi I have never paid a deposit for a hotel, even when my booking has been for months rather than days, but if the hotel you've been dealing with is making tour bookings with third parties on your behalf, then yes a deposit will most certainly be required as they will have to pay for that, irrespective of whether or not you turn up to honour your booking.

As for the means of payment, I have used PayPal for purchases throughout the world for a very long time and have never experienced a problem.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels, tours and secure payments

Thanks so much for the advice. It's Green Diamond Hotel, which has a summer special as advertised on TripAdvisor, with the airport transfers being a sealer against other similar packages.

The problem is that while you can book a room using booking.com and similar, that doesn't apply to the package. Because I've been dealing exclusively via email and not in person, my radar is up. Call me over cautious, that's fine.

I'd be happy with PayPal except it won't guarantee a hotel/tour in the way that it will with an eBay purchase. If only there was a way to ensure that the account details they gave me are legitimate!

It's not just Vietnam. If I were in any other country I'd ask them to provide me with a secure payment method.

Anyhow, sorry this was wordy

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels, tours and secure payments

From a local perspective: a deposit is legitimate when the package involves a tour element (very hard to cancel the tour in the last minute without any fee, hotel/car transfer can be though).

A fishing one will not reveal his place/contact right?! I wouldn't say a hotel will ever attempt to cheat her clients for few dollars, in the context of high cost for building reputation nowadays.

Good luck

Matthew Duong

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels, tours and secure payments

Excellent advice, thanks so much. I've decided to use Paypal. Will reactivate this thread if the deal was dodgy but from what you've all said, the signs look good.

Thanks so much.

SS

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels, tours and secure payments

Paypal is the best secure for buyers as far as I know coz I have been using it for many years. Especially in Vietnam, there is no safe payment gateway (I means be able to get a refund) and even in other asia countries. Go ahead with Paypa and good luck!!

7. Re: Hotels, tours and secure payments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 20, 2014