We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanoi airport money exchange

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
324 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hanoi airport money exchange

Getting in late on Friday. Anyone know the hours of operation for airport currency exchange?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanoi airport money exchange

All the service booths in Noi Bai Airport operate throughout the day. You just need to exchange enough for taxi. The rate they offer is not as good as at banks or the gold shops on Hang Bac or Ha Trung St.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,744 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanoi airport money exchange

Most of them close rather early at HAN, but I believe there should be at least one bank open for exchange

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,734 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanoi airport money exchange

Even if an exchange is still open it might charge a large flat-rate commission that will be out of proportion to the amount you exchange.

If I need local currency when I arrive I always use my debit card to withdraw the maximum allowable amount of cash from one of the ATMs - turn left just before the exit doors in the arrivals hall.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanoi airport money exchange

I am currently in Hanoi and exchanged US$100 upon arrival and received 20,800 per dollar. Today at the bank I received 21,300 per dollar. The airport exchange did not involve any commission, except for the lower rate. Not sure of hours of operation for the exchange kiosks at the airport.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,734 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanoi airport money exchange

Nice to know there are commission-free ones, even if the exchange rate is lower than in town. I think it was the ANZ Bank's exchange kiosk at the airport where I was charged a ridiculously large commission the first time I arrived in Hanoi and didn't know the ropes. Never made that mistake again!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
551 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanoi airport money exchange

How much is that "large flat-rate commission"? My bank charges for overseas withdrawals and use a less favourable exchange rate for ATM use overseas. Weighing whether I should just bring large USD bills and exchange at the counter, which may be cheaper.

Are these counters reliable - ie. won't dispense fake notes?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
161 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanoi airport money exchange

According to Dikthai, commission free at the airport for 500 dong per dollar less than we would get in city...not a terrible deal.

I'm scared of ATM incidents noted in other threads (screen goes blank, no money out, but deducted from bank account as if transaction occurred). Probably the best way to go about is to change a little at the airport, then change a lot at gold shops in town?

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,734 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanoi airport money exchange

"...then change a lot at gold shops in town?"

Maverikbc, the owners of gold shops in Hanoi are more assiduous than their counterparts in southern Vietnam about not breaking the law against trading in foreign currency, and even if you do find one who's amenable to dealing with a foreigner the rate will be little different from that day's bank rate. Banks and hotels are your best bet.

As for ATMs, I've yet to encounter a problem at the airport or elsewhere other than my debit card once being eaten on a Saturday evening and having to wait until Monday to reclaim it, and that's over many years with a stay in VN of at least 2 months a year. It might happen one day of course, but the odds are against it.

hkg2009hkg, sorry but I can't remember how much the commission was as it happened so long ago. Since then I've always used the ATMs at the airport if I need cash, which isn't often as with an airport pick-up provided by a hotel, cash is never required immediately.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
182 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanoi airport money exchange

Hello,

I need some suggestions on what currency to use in Vietnam (Dollars or dong), my Hotels have all been paid already, I will be in Vietnam for 12 days, how much should I convert and how much should I keep in dollars. ( Eg IF I have 1500$)

Thank you

10. Re: Hanoi airport money exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 19, 2014